How to study for MCAT retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kristina16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I studied with Kaplan for a little over 3 months for my exam. I was averaging 33-35 on the old full length mcat exams provided by AAMC ( I took all of them). I ended up getting a 25 on the actual exam!!!

I am definitely going to retake but I am really confused about how to study this time. I thought I understood the material and how to take the test based on my scores for the practice full lengths. Please give me advice on how to study again?

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to imagine what could cause an 8-10pt drop from consistent AAMC scores.

Were you super nervous that day? Ill? It sounds like more of a problem with the actual test day.

Same thing happened to me, I was scoring a 30 average on the practice tests with a high of 33 after taking them all. On the real deal I got a 24. I'm applying D.O. but plan to retake in April if acceptance is looking unlikely.

I can't identify what went wrong for me. If I had to grasp at straws for excuses I would say I studied for too long (5 months) and was burnt out. I also got a cold/bronchitis the week of the test which I'm sure didn't help, but I don't know how much it really hurt either.

The only other thing I can blame is Kaplan. I took the class and didn't feel like it really helped me much. I did some last minute EK stuff and felt that was alot more beneficial, but at that point it was too late. If I retake I will either take an EK course or do a 3 month self study with TBR/EK.

in my opinion I think kaplan is the worst way to study for the mcat..Im using a combination of ek+BR now and I feel like I understand things 200 times better but I guess well see.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only other thing I can blame is Kaplan. I took the class and didn't feel like it really helped me much.

I can understand a method not working, but I still think your AAMC practice tests should be indicative of your MCAT score. Regardless of method, a 30 average (assuming it was a fair number of exams) should still put you in that general range.

Good luck with the retakes though. I'm glad you found a method that works better for you!

Is it true that they average the 2 scores to get your final result?

Schools see all your scores. It depends on the school as to what they do with it - some average, some take the last, etc. You can find that info by contacting the schools; some will have it in the MSAR or on their websites.

I was averaging around 32-33 on my practice tests. Took it the first time and got a 26. Took it again two months later after about a month of studying, and ended up with a 35. So yes, it's very possible to have a "fluke".

Also, it depends on the school, but most will take your most recent/highest.

So yes, it's very possible to have a "fluke".

That would make sense - just something wacky that day.

Surely you didn't have to study at the same depth as before? With consistently higher practice scores, you should be able to get into that range easier I would guess. Is this correct?

I am considering a retake, but I was within my practice range. I would like to jump 3-4 points. I've been using a different method than the original, but I'm wondering if 3 months of studying is overkill on a retake. There's probably a point of diminishing returns.

(I know this is a different situation entirely....)

If you scored within your practice range, then it'll be a little harder to jump like that. 3 months is plenty of time to completely reattack the thing. Just hammer the content again, then focus on passage practice. Go over what you got wrong, right and why, and you should see an improvement if you're truly focused.

If you scored within your practice range, then it'll be a little harder to jump like that. 3 months is plenty of time to completely reattack the thing. Just hammer the content again, then focus on passage practice. Go over what you got wrong, right and why, and you should see an improvement if you're truly focused.

Thank you for the advice. I have decided to contact my 2 top targets and ask them if they will consider the jump much of a difference in my app. Sucking up more months of my life with MCAT studying does not sound fun....

I was averaging around 32-33 on my practice tests. Took it the first time and got a 26. Took it again two months later after about a month of studying, and ended up with a 35. So yes, it's very possible to have a "fluke".

Also, it depends on the school, but most will take your most recent/highest.
I know its been a while, but how did you do it?! I'm in teh same position!