mrgq912

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Status
Hey guys I am acutally applyingto med school right now and am on the waitlist at the school i really want to go to, NJMED. So i decided to take some courses there this spring semester to show them i can excell in their classes. And one course I am taking is Medical neuroscience.

Any advice on how to ace the class as well as the board exams at the end. The class ends exactly when the Adcom re-evaluates the waitlist. So I really need to do well, any advice would be welcome.

typeB-md

Be more like McCain!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
pick up a photo atlas with the horizontal, saggital, and coronal sections. memorize everything on these sections (if there are practicals on this material, there is no way to get around it other than memorizing it ALL).

get high yield neuroscience, get Pre-Test neuro with 500 questions

real high yield.... read it again... do the pre-test questions just before the shelf.

omarsaleh66

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
temecula ca
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
typeB-md said:
pick up a photo atlas with the horizontal, saggital, and coronal sections. memorize everything on these sections (if there are practicals on this material, there is no way to get around it other than memorizing it ALL).

get high yield neuroscience, get Pre-Test neuro with 500 questions

real high yield.... read it again... do the pre-test questions just before the shelf.
this is real good advice. I would also add Neuroscience Made Ridiculously Simple. It is an easy read and can really simplify some of the confusing pathways and concepts in a very short time. With NMRS, HY Neuro and Pretest u cant lose.

I would also learn about micro related CNS illnesses, sleep, headaches, obstructive sleep apnea for the board exam cuz its not covered in these books.

later
Omar

typeB-md

Be more like McCain!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
also, know your neurotransmitters... where they come from, a general pathway, and the products

also know the re-uptake mechanisms at the synapse

that's good for 6 or so questions on the shelf

zeloc

15+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
typeB-md said:
also, know your neurotransmitters... where they come from, a general pathway, and the products

also know the re-uptake mechanisms at the synapse

that's good for 6 or so questions on the shelf
You should know the main pathways very well, such as the anterolateral system and dorsal columns/medial lemniscus. It is easy to determine lesion questions by knowing which pathways cross where, which are controlled by the contralateral brain, etc.