How to study for the MCAT freshman year of college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GunningForInternalMed

Nova Southeastern University BS/DO 2027
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I'm an upcoming freshman in an 8 year BS/DO program and was curious to know how I could start studying for the MCAT as a freshman. Could anyone on here possibly give me some guidance? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing you can do is to do really well in your prereq classes and thus have really strong background knowledge come the MCAT. I wouldn't recommend studying from prep books or materials this early in the process. Typically, the people who score really high on the MCAT start with having a strong background in science from the beginning of MCAT prep due to doing well in the prereq courses. So, study hard during these prereq years and it'll pay off down the road for the MCAT.

The best thing you can do is to do really well in your prereq classes and thus have really strong background knowledge come the MCAT. I wouldn't recommend studying from prep books or materials this early in the process. Typically, the people who score really high on the MCAT start with having a strong background in science from the beginning of MCAT prep due to doing well in the prereq courses. So, study hard during these prereq years and it'll pay off down the road for the MCAT.
I appreciate it my guy! I think I'm just gonna take my last summer vacation easier and grind really hard in my prereqs!

Reactions: 1 user
That is completely the right move! I always encourage everyone to think about the MCAT as you're going through your prereqs, because doing well and truly learning in those classes instead of cramming is going to make a huge difference on your MCAT. But as far directly studying for the MCAT several years in advance, I usually find that to be inefficient. Enjoying your summer so you're ready to work hard when school starts is a great plan. Come back in a few years when you're ready to start studying for the MCAT directly, and i'd love to give you more advice :) Good luck with everything!!

That is completely the right move! I always encourage everyone to think about the MCAT as you're going through your prereqs, because doing well and truly learning in those classes instead of cramming is going to make a huge difference on your MCAT. But as far directly studying for the MCAT several years in advance, I usually find that to be inefficient. Enjoying your summer so you're ready to work hard when school starts is a great plan. Come back in a few years when you're ready to start studying for the MCAT directly, and i'd love to give you more advice :) Good luck with everything!!
Thank you sir!

Reactions: 1 user