Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So I have been studying for the MCAT since the 10th of June and I take my test on the 10th of September. I have taken the following FLs:

1. TBR FL 2 502
2. TBR FL 1 502
3. TBR FL 3 502
4. EK FL 1 50%
5. EK FL 2 54%
6. EK FL 4 58%
7. AAMC FL scored 126|124|125|122||497

***Also did AAMC CARS Q pack 1 and Q pack 2 in addition to half of C/P section bank questions.

I am shooting for a 510 and I now understand that this is not realistic at this point. I am luckily applying in the next cycle, so I am willing to push my test date to January. I plan on going and taking the MCAT and voiding, and if for some reason if a miracle strikes, then I will score it.

My question is that I was able to devote 6-8 hours per day to study in terms of content review, mini practice tests, practice passages, and FLs. How do I do this during the school year if I have a full course load? I will be taking Neuroscience, Physical Chemistry, and Astronomy.

Should I treat the MCAT like another class and study 1-2 hours per day? Should I do content review or should I do practice passages or what?

What is your advice for me?

I still have EK FL 3, TBR FL 4, AAMC FL unscored, and Kaplan FL 1 that I can take during the school year.

theonlytycrane

5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I posted in another thread, but the good thing is that I guarantee you can raise psych / soc to 127 (at least) by brute-force memorizing enough terms and how to apply them. Working on posting my personal list of 400+ terms on here soon. Once you memorize that (many of which you might already know) you won't be able to score under 127 even if you try to miss the questions.

Reactions: premedkid1994
OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
I posted in another thread, but the good thing is that I guarantee you can raise psych / soc to 127 (at least) by brute-force memorizing enough terms and how to apply them. Working on posting my personal list of 400+ terms on here soon. Once you memorize that (many of which you might already know) you won't be able to score under 127 even if you try to miss the questions.
Yeah I understand what you're saying. This was actually my lowest score in Psych/Soc and most of it was not knowing definitions.

au_gems_glitter

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2016
Status
What have you been using to study for P/S? I was using Kaplan but found that it was not extensive enough. IMO, Khan Academy videos were probably the best resource to understand the range of material, though their practice questions were not that good.

OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
What have you been using to study for P/S? I was using Kaplan but found that it was not extensive enough. IMO, Khan Academy videos were probably the best resource to understand the range of material, though their practice questions were not that good.
For P/S, I first started off with TBR but it was too dense, way too detailed, and I always got lost. I then simplified it with Kaplan, and I found it to not be extensive just like you. I have recently started using Khan Academy. I don't think the passages are a problem for me in P/S, I just did not learn a lot of the terms, which is why I got the lowest score in P/S than I ever have before. I usually score around a 126 on P/S.

au_gems_glitter

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2016
Status
For P/S, I first started off with TBR but it was too dense, way too detailed, and I always got lost. I then simplified it with Kaplan, and I found it to not be extensive just like you. I have recently started using Khan Academy. I don't think the passages are a problem for me in P/S, I just did not learn a lot of the terms, which is why I got the lowest score in P/S than I ever have before. I usually score around a 126 on P/S.
You'll definitely benefit from taking some extra time to study. I didn't realize how bad my Kaplan materials were until the week before my exam, so I just crammed using study guides I found online. I can send them to you if you want. Just PM me.

OP
Chromatic543

Chromatic543

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2016
Status
You'll definitely benefit from taking some extra time to study. I didn't realize how bad my Kaplan materials were until the week before my exam, so I just crammed using study guides I found online. I can send them to you if you want. Just PM me.
Did you end up taking the test? I would feel scared if I was you haha, I don't think I could take it.

That would be really helpful, and I would really appreciate it. Have you used EK for P/S? I have their book that someone gave to me, but there are just so many books that I can't choose. Each of them has an issue that I don't like.

au_gems_glitter

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2016
Status
Did you end up taking the test? I would feel scared if I was you haha, I don't think I could take it.

That would be really helpful, and I would really appreciate it. Have you used EK for P/S? I have their book that someone gave to me, but there are just so many books that I can't choose. Each of them has an issue that I don't like.
I did take it (last year around this time), and wound up with a 128 in P/S. I didn't use any books to study besides Kaplan, so I can't personally vouch for EK. My friends who use it really like the books and practice exams, though they've said that the exams are incredibly detailed.
I think the biggest issue for me when I was reviewing was that the prep materials didn't accurately convey the structure of the test, since I took it fairly soon after the new MCAT was released. I don't know if anything has changed since then.
PM me your email address, and I'll send the docs over, unless I can send them over PM.... I'm new at this, sorry :oops: