How to study for the NBDE in a month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Springs01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have roughly a month left until I take the NBDE. To be honest, I haven't done any real studying yet. I did very poorly (low 40's) on my diagnostic test, and I guessed on like 80% of the questions, meaning I don't know anything. I feel very worried about the real test. Is 1 month enough to study?
I only have dental decks (2015-2016) and released exams. Should I be ok with doing just those?

Here's my plan for 1 month:
1) Study dental anatomy VERY thoroughly, using decks
2) Study gross anatomy (focusing on head and neck), using decks - I never really learned gross anatomy properly, and it's my least favorite subject, so this section is going to be very difficult for me. Should I use a supplement, or are decks ok?
3) Do practice questions/released exams

And then if I have some time left over:
4) Passively review some pathology using decks
5) SKIP biochem entirely (or maybe skim over my own biochem notes for a few hours)

Do you think this is a good plan? Please give me some constructive criticism/advice. I'm starting to feel very stressed out. One month seems like such a short time.

Members don't see this ad.

Most people can get by on 2 weeks studying decks. You'll be fine. Just stick with your plan

Decks were worthless for me and a little overwhelming. Use first aid and the NBDE app

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Decks were worthless for me and a little overwhelming. Use first aid and the NBDE app

I don't like decks that much either. I have never been a flash-cards person, and studying decks is requiring some getting-used to. I was thinking of buying first aid, but I think it's too late now. I'm not going to have enough time to get through everything

I only studied using the dental decks. I studied 2-3 weeks maybe 4-5 hours a day M-F. I didn't even get to the Microbiology cards and I passed. I have no idea how they score the NBDE but I think only 1 person out of the 62 in our class failed it.

I have roughly a month left until I take the NBDE. To be honest, I haven't done any real studying yet. I did very poorly (low 40's) on my diagnostic test, and I guessed on like 80% of the questions, meaning I don't know anything. I feel very worried about the real test. Is 1 month enough to study?
I only have dental decks (2015-2016) and released exams. Should I be ok with doing just those?

Here's my plan for 1 month:
1) Study dental anatomy VERY thoroughly, using decks
2) Study gross anatomy (focusing on head and neck), using decks - I never really learned gross anatomy properly, and it's my least favorite subject, so this section is going to be very difficult for me. Should I use a supplement, or are decks ok?
3) Do practice questions/released exams

And then if I have some time left over:
4) Passively review some pathology using decks
5) SKIP biochem entirely (or maybe skim over my own biochem notes for a few hours)

Do you think this is a good plan? Please give me some constructive criticism/advice. I'm starting to feel very stressed out. One month seems like such a short time.
My school only gave us 3 weeks to study. In that time, I used NBDE I first aid for head and neck anatomy, and dental decks for the rest. I gauged my scores by practicing on released exams. I honestly felt like I failed when I left the prometric center, but passed! Print out a monthly calendar from iCal, and break down the subjects you have to study- divide them up amongst the time you have left, and stick to that schedule. I also put in three buffer days in my schedule, in case I wasn't able to keep up. Good luck!