How To Study Kaplan MCAT Books Before Course / Study Plan For AmeriCorps Member

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SBanya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm currently an AmeriCorps member that's interested in applying for medical school. I signed up for the Kaplan course, and received the books in the mail.

I have a degree in Biotechnology so I took what is necessarily required for medical school since I thought about trying it beforehand but always the cost of it all eluded me until my coworker told me about the Fee Assistance Program.

I took the following courses:

Intro Bio I & II with lab, Gen Chem I & II with lab, Organic Chem I & II with lab, Pre-Calc, Calc I, Calc II, Biochem w/ lab (0_0 worst lab I have ever taken in my entire life, I still get the shivers thinking how I even passed that), Physics I calc based, Fundamental Physics II (since Physics was really hard for me, even though I got every source of help with tutors included).

I kind of understand my own weaknesses to be organic, biochem, and physics, rounding some of the math without the use of calculators, and finally the unit circle apparently has eluded me too since a lot of what you have to do for the physics problems is without a calculator.

Regardless, I've been doing 2 hours a day during normal workdays. I just literally read through the High Yield Problem Solving Guide, but didn't do any of the problems (I know, counter-intuitive, but I wanted to know what I was really up against).

A lot of the material, especially in the diagnostic test, seemed pretty familiar but obviously I need to work on Biochem, Organic, and Physics to be even somewhat competitive.

So if I have weekends mostly free (other than Sat. mornings cause I help out at a soup kitchen), what should be my plan of action before and during the Kaplan course.

Oh, i forgot to mention, its the in-person classroom course by the way.

Regardless, thank you for reading my post!

Members don't see this ad.