How to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothless rufus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am taking the MCAT in April, have been studying about 3 months now by going through each topic in turn of the AAMC's outline using textbooks, review books, and websites. Still have a lot left.

I am starting to wonder if this is too detailed an approach, as it seems there is a consensus that just going through review books like Kaplan's provides enough information on each topic to do well.

I have three questions:

How much knowledge is necessary to do well?

It seems that knowing your stuff is not quite enough. What are the "secrets" of taking this standardized test?

And finally, concerning formulas, must they all be memorized, or is a conceptual understanding enough?

Thanks!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

toothless rufus said:
Hi,

I am taking the MCAT in April, have been studying about 3 months now by going through each topic in turn of the AAMC's outline using textbooks, review books, and websites. Still have a lot left.

I am starting to wonder if this is too detailed an approach, as it seems there is a consensus that just going through review books like Kaplan's provides enough information on each topic to do well.

I have three questions:

How much knowledge is necessary to do well?

It seems that knowing your stuff is not quite enough. What are the "secrets" of taking this standardized test?

And finally, concerning formulas, must they all be memorized, or is a conceptual understanding enough?

Thanks!
:)

Well strategy is something that can be thought only to an extent. You should know the formulas in case it is needed in a problem. However, only the formulas in the review books. Not the additional formulas. However, whether a test is based on problems or on concepts depdends on the form you have. You see a friend of mine had a form which had a lot of math. My form however didn't require a lot of math.

If you have a good understanding of the concepts your next goal should be to do lots of passages and to get used to do format via timing yourself while you do a topical test in physical sciences

Or take a full lenth practice test after you have gone over biological sciences as well.

The MCAT is a very verbally based test that requires both scientific knowledge and an understanding of how to go about standardized tests.

You will be given several passages and some free lance science questions.

Free lance questions are based purely on scientific knowledge. Like a regular test in class. However passages are the good majority of the science sections. You will be given a situation and then they may throw some sort of ball at you and you will have to take both the info they present and what you already know from outside knowledge to be able to properly understand the question.

One of the Kaplan teachers from Tampa that often posts here has often suggested doing dense reading for the verbal sections and maybe even taking a philosophy course.

It is really hard to describe the test, but if I were you if you are not taking a practice course, I would at least recommend you get Exam Kracker's books and 3 practice tests and get the AAMC practice tests 3R, 4R, 5R, 6R, and test 7. And take these practice tests because they will help you to get an idea and practice the format of the test. It will also give you a good idea of where you stand. I believe practice tests are the best indicators to your strengths and weaknesses and often tell you where you stand on the real test day.

I know for me I went up 8 pts from my first diagnostic although I still have to retake it since my score wasn't where I need it to be. However, my real scores did reflect what I was doing on most of my practice tests. So I do believe in the predictiveness of practice tests telling where you stand. Generally you may go up or down by a few points from your last score and will be within the range of the avg scores on all your tests. I have seen that with myself and others on this board.

So in summary practice practice practice.........