How to Succeed in PGY-2 Psych Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a transfer out of neurology PGY-1. Starting psych as pgy-2. Any advice in terms of study materials and general things overall for success for PGY-2 psych?

Members don't see this ad.

As a PGY-2, myself, I can't say I know exactly what the attendings and senior residents think. However, it's not that hard to get along just fine in PGY-2. The hard thing is to really stand out in a positive way. And in that regard it's not much different from any other specialty--clinical skills, leadership, management plans, knowledge, attitude. There are a bunch of other threads on reading materials, some new, some old.

Stuff that will be useful to a call component, if you don't know these things already, are assessment of the suicidal patient, management of acute agitation, and learning whatever legal environment you'll be working in.

Im a transfer out of neurology PGY-1. Starting psych as pgy-2. Any advice in terms of study materials and general things overall for success for PGY-2 psych?

Pick up your long term therapy case as early as your program allows. You will feel like you have no idea what you are doing. Take heart from Winnicott: "I offer interpretations to show the patient that I am awake, and that I can be wrong."

Know when to treat or street. Learn and understand all the players in your area. As far as LME's, hospitals, etc. Rules of the ED, consults, etc. Know different attending's styles and what they do and don't like. Don't forget your medicine for consults. I am sure your background in Neuro and IM will serve you well here.