1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How to take a med school class as an undergrad student?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003], Jun 29, 2002.

1. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

I wanted to take a med school class and I am still in undergrad. Do you know what department usually handles that, med school admissions or somebody else? Or I have to do it through my pre-med advisor?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

If you have in mind registering for a medical school course, taking exams and being graded, and having the course and credits appear on your undergraduate transcript, I believe you will find that impossible. At most, and I think even that unlikely, you might ask a medical school to let you just sit in and listen to lectures. But why?
    You will still not exempt any courses at whatever medical school you may eventually attend.

Use college for college courses. If you need a few extra credits, take a literature course, a poetry course, anthropology, history, philosophy, music, sociology, elementary ancient Greek. Any of those will do more to make you an educated person than any head start on medical school basic sciences.

4. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Heh,

I took med school biochemistry and a grad school cancer class and had them count towards my major!

Yours,

Jason

EDIT: With grades! =]

5. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

Coming to the lectures without getting a grade is boring. I want to get a real grade. I signed up for Physeo course at school but I did not really like my instructor at school. Do I have to talk to med school admissions offce about that?

6. WakeMedHeel

WakeMedHeel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Odds are, you won't be able to take medschool classes. You can take equivalent classes but most schools probably won't let you take med classes for a grade. Most don't even grade on a A-F scale...