How to take the DAT wihtout taking Organic Chemsitry II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

white fang

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have posted several times that I took the DAT without O-Chem 2 and still scored a 27 on the O-chem portion of the DAT. Since, I have been PM'd my multiple members wanting to do the same thing. Instead of replying to PM's forever, I thought I would make a thread.

Keep in mind, this worked for me; it may not work for you. I was an above average O-Chem 1 student, as I scored about 35% higher than the class average in O-Chem 1. This is partly what allowed me to take the DAT w/out O-Chem 2.

I knew everything well from O-Chem 1. This includes topics like naming, SN1, SN2, E1, E2, resonance, solvents, HNMR, CNMR, IR, rearrangements, functional groups, priorities and blah blah blah. Basically, everything from your O-Chem 1 class. If you don't know all of this, you probably should finish OC 2 as you won't have time to learn OC 1 topics and still teach yourself OC 2 topics.

Now, the resources I used to learn O-Chem 2:

Chad's Videos
Organic Chemistry as a 2nd language
DAT Destroyer

That is it. You don't need anything else.

Ok, how I did it is next.

Watch all of Chad's videos and make note cards of all reactions presented in the videos. Do all quiz questions as you go through the videos. Memorize these note cards.

Next, read Organic Chemistry as a 2nd language, 2nd semester topics. This will give some perspective to Chad's videos and you will start to understand what is going on.

Next, go through DAT Destroyer O-Chem for the first time. Go until you get to problem 170, or wherever the problem where the road maps show up is. Don't feel bad if you get a lot wrong at this point. Now that you are to the road map section, make note cards of all the reactions to add to your stack.

Memorize all note cards you have made from Chad's videos and DAT Road Maps.

Watch all of Chad's Videos again for a 2nd time. This time it should be making a lot more sense.

Keep working on note cards, these are key. Work on being able to do Destroyer road maps in your sleep.

Now, go through Destroyer as many times as you can before the DAT. You should be getting most right towards this point.

A few days before my test I did the last topscore and got a 28 on O-chem, which was a huge change from 3 weeks before that where I scored a 16 on OC.

I ran through destroyer again on my last day before the test and watched 1 or 2 chads videos about topics I was shaky with.

That's it, go into the test and nail it without O=chem 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: