How to talk about DO shadowing in PS? Urgent!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxabi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just about ready to submit my AACOMAS app (better late than never!), but I wanted y'alls opinion on how to go about phrasing my time shadowing a DO. I shadowed a DO who actually further specialized in NMM/OMM for his residency. What would be the best way to phrase this?

" More recently, I shadowed an osteopathic physician who specialized in NMM/OMM."
OR
"More recently, I shadowed a physician specializing in NMM/OMM."
OR
"More recently, I shadowed a DO specializing in NMM/OMM"

or is the NMM/OMM redundant, can I just say "specializing in OMM".

Sorry if it seems as though I'm being neurotic. Once years ago I accidentally said DO doctor when shadowing an MD, and the physician proceeded to point out to me that it was redundant and actually offensive to many DOs when you say "DO doctor" so I just want to make sure I am going about it in a professional and respectful way, since I am VERY keen on attending a DO school.

Thanks everyone! I would like to submit it tonight so any feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the "more recently" part, but as far as working it you should try to keep from using too many acronyms. I would spell out Osteopathic physician and only use OMM in the sentence. If you are going to write about this be sure to point out what you have taken from that experience and how it applies to your desire to become an osteopathic physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about the "more recently" part, but as far as working it you should try to keep from using too many acronyms. I would spell out Osteopathic physician and only use OMM in the sentence. If you are going to write about this be sure to point out what you have taken from that experience and how it applies to your desire to become an osteopathic physician.

I'm assuming you aren't sure about he "more recently" part because it might come off as a recent interest in osteopathic medicine? And I definitely agree with your advice. I have elaborated on it in my personal statement. Thanks!

OP shadowed a DO who just had finished combined residency NMM/OMM, it is better to list both together since there is another combined FM/OMM by itself.

I'm assuming you aren't sure about he "more recently" part because it might come off as a recent interest in osteopathic medicine? And I definitely agree with your advice. I have elaborated on it in my personal statement. Thanks!

Eh, not so much that "more recently" implies you are new to osteopathic medicine, but it could be worded better in my own opinion. I am very picky, so don't take everything I say to heart, but I do believe syntax plays an important role in the readers eyes.

Reactions: 1 user
You could rephrase to presently/ at the present time. delete" more" it sounds that you just got your experience lately.

Thanks so much to the both of you for the awesome feedback. I managed to tweak my paragraph around with a better transition!