how to talk to patients as medical students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaAppli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year medical student who spends time shadowing physicians and takes occasional histories.

A lot of times I have no idea what to say to patients when I am just following the doctor around. Taking histories is easy because I know what my role is, but when I follow the doctor I just come in and say hi to the patient, stand in the back without saying a word, pretend to be interested in the physical exam, and then say bye after everything is done. I don't have anything meaningful to contribute as I don't know anything so I just watch the physician do whatever physical exam he needs to do.

Is this awkward?

Members don't see this ad.

No that's pretty much normal for shadowing. Sometimes the physician will explain something to you during, but most of the time, you watch/observe as a shadow, and after the patient leaves, that's when the doctor will fill you in.

Not awkward, pretty much the norm as Knux said. Though that would be weird if the attending didn't even introduce you...

Your goal in shadowing is to see what the doc does and pay attention to how they do what they do. It's not to interact with the patient or actually contribute anything meaningful, ESPECIALLY this early in your education.

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad :)
Normally, my preceptor introduces me "This is a medical student. Is that okay? etc".

If he doesn't, then there's nothing you can do besides what you're doing now, which is perfectly fine.

I hate when preceptors don't even introduce me. Then I feel like I am just creepily lurking there, with the patient having no idea who I am or why I am there, and it's awkward to jump into the conversation to introduce myself. I don't insert myself into the conversation unless invited to do so, in any case. Shadows don't talk.

Welcome to shadowing. Focus on what the physician is doing and saying. You are shadowing him, and are not making attempts at patient communication just yet. Wait until you've been on a clinical rotation as a MS3 with semi-real responsibilities and you have to regress back to shadowing at a future rotation.

I hate when preceptors don't even introduce me. Then I feel like I am just creepily lurking there, with the patient having no idea who I am or why I am there, and it's awkward to jump into the conversation to introduce myself. I don't insert myself into the conversation unless invited to do so, in any case. Shadows don't talk.

Yeah, that does happen at times, they might forget to introduce you or just assume it's fine. Usually I tend to say hi to the patient as I walk in, and either the physician will say: "This is Knux who is working with me, do you mind if he is here with us", or he/she will just start to talk while I sit and observe. That way it doesn't feel as awkward and if they don't want a student there(ex: a lady wants to talk about her hoochie and don't want no man near her) they'll say it upfront.

If it's a follow up patient, they already know that there are students in the clinic watching anyway, so they might be used to it. Shadows don't talk, I agree, but I suppose the quick hello and have a nice day are exceptions :D

First year I had a preceptorship I had to be part of as well at an internal medicine practice; it was pretty cool but I also did nothing and essentially just followed the doc around same as you. Don't worry about it. You'll get plenty of patient interaction in 3rd year.

That shouldn't worry you much for now. With time you will be well integrated into the system. You will get to know the things required of you.

Introduce yourself as a med student if your preceptor hasn't, then just watch and ask questions to get yourself involved (if it is an appropriate time). It's pretty awk, you just have to deal.

Yeah, you just have to deal with it. This is one of those situations where you can learn how not to do things by your leader doing something poorly.