how to tell med schools that my writing class is an "English" course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

equityrange

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i still dont exactly understand how im suppose to tell schools that my writing course is writing intensive. a lot of schools require 1year of "English". I've taken 1year of Slavic Literature, that counts right? but how do i convince other schools? for instance davis requires

English: 1 year (Courses in Comparative Literature and/or Classics will fulfill the English requirement.)

would Slavic Literature count? If not, would it count for most schools? How do I convince them if it doesnt officially count?

Members don't see this ad.

so i still dont exactly understand how im suppose to tell schools that my writing course is writing intensive. a lot of schools require 1year of "English". I've taken 1year of Slavic Literature, that counts right? but how do i convince other schools? for instance davis requires

English: 1 year (Courses in Comparative Literature and/or Classics will fulfill the English requirement.)

would Slavic Literature count? If not, would it count for most schools? How do I convince them if it doesnt officially count?

It should. I actually tried to take an upper-level English course because my pre-reqs were taken years ago. So I registered for ENG 396 or something like it, and I found out that only English majors or minors were allowed to take upper-level classes due to budget cuts at my state school.

Given the economy and the ridiculous focus on non-humanities majors, this might work for you even if it's not true of your school.

Careful, the AMCAS instructions state that this type of literature course will be counted as a foreign language and not an "english" course. Check out the website for what classes are acceptable. I had this problem with an Argentine Literature course I took.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm. this is an interesting question. Is the class under the English department or under a foreign language department. I think that'll tell you whether you can use it or not. If it does count, then good for you. If not, like it says, take a comparative literature or classic literature course. Like British literature to 1850. British Literature from 1850. Or Studies in American Literature. Or Women and Literature. Or Black Literature. Or Shakespeare. Or Milton. Or Introduction to Chaucer. Courses like these =]

On my transcript it says, SLAVIC - READING AND COMPREHENSION. this course counts toward the writing requirement of my university and the reading assignments were not in slavic. everything was in english

i had a similar problem..its going to hard to convice them b/c usually schools only allow english from the english dept. and comparative literature dept...stuff from the writing dept. sometimes doesn't even count as english!! wtffff