• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

pmt16

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
My wild dream came true - I got into dental school. I am now wondering how and when I should tell this news to my co-workers, managers and friends. They have no idea what I have been doing. They assume I am taking some MBA classes. I never tell them I am going to dental school. I feel little guilty becasue I gave them an false impression that I went to school was for my MBA. Anyone have experience? Suggestions?

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
My wild dream came true - I got into dental school. I am now wondering how and when I should tell this news to my co-workers, managers and friends. They have no idea what I have been doing. They assume I am taking some MBA classes. I never tell them I am going to dental school. I feel little guilty becasue I gave them an false impression that I went to school was for my MBA. Anyone have experience? Suggestions?

2 weeks notice. Life goes on.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2006
Lansing, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You are (or I should say were) in the same place as I am right now.

I am a software developer (computer science major), class of 2004, working at my project and attending a university to complete my pre-dental requirements. I haven't really told anyone about this, but,

May I ask you how you wrote your personal letter, you seem to have gone the path I am currently taking right now and I would appreciate any advice you can give....... You seem to be a non-trad dental student (much like I am) and I have no idea how to show this in my personal essay.

thanks

About the Ads

pmt16

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I simply stated the fact. I worked part time as a dental office manager. That was how I started interested in this field. And then I decided to pursuit dentistry. (of course I wrote a bit detail in my personal statement...like how my personality is, my goal, etc.)

Cymbidium

Awesome.
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
SoCal
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

I'm in the same boat! I feel really guilty. I think I'm going to tell my superivsior (soon) that I'm going to apply to dental school. Then in the spring I think I'll tell them that I got in somewhere! They don't know anything about the process, so they have no idea how early you have to apply and took a few days off here and there to interview. That will soften the blow I think. Anyway, that's my plan.... for now.

jim85213

10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
First of all congrats! Where did you get in?

Second, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll get over it and no one can hold it against you for wanting a better/different career.

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If you don't like your job you tell them to shove it up their @sses.

If you like it, you be a bit more tactful.

pmt16

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
First of all congrats! Where did you get in?

Second, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They'll get over it and no one can hold it against you for wanting a better/different career.

UCSF

DentalDevil

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
NC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
It's probably good you didn't tell them earlier. My boss has known I'm applying to dental school for the past year and a half and she started phasing me out almost 6 months ago. More and more projects have been given to other people and they're always talking about "when you're gone." In fact, people have been asking me how much longer I'll be here since last summer. It pretty much sucked. Best to tell them when you have to keep working for only a short period of time.

pmt16

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
If you don't like your job you tell them to shove it up their @sses.

If you like it, you be a bit more tactful.

Yeah, that's the problem...my manager is so nice to me and she let me work flexible hours to accommodate my "MBA" classes.

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Yeah, that's the problem...my manager is so nice to me and she let me work flexible hours to accommodate my "MBA" classes.

The business world is cruel. It's a game, and you played the game right. Tell her when you've made enough money and are ready to quit. I don't know the specific job details, but there's always a ton of recent graduates to fill up vacancies. She'll get over it.

Fuji

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
I've been living a lie at work for over a year now. My employer even paid for me to take a chem class under the pretenses that it would help my current work.

Oh well. I put in my time. Did good work. Now it's time to get started on my real career.

I am going to tell them in about a month after they give out raises and promotions. If they know I'm leaving I'm afraid they'll shaft me (or phase me out, as mentioned above).

PChemGrad

I am a banana.
10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would give them two weeks before you plan on moving. Just be like a better offer has been given to me, and I don't think you can match it, I and just received word, that they would like to relocate me in two weeks, and here is my notice.

aggie-master

Scrub
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I told them a long time ago. It was pretty much my only option because I needed to work a class around my schedule and they wanted details which I could only explain by telling the truth.

The bad thing about it is that my last yearly raise here was a 0% raise. It's the first time I've gotten the shaft since I've been working and I know that them knowing that I was going to quit in less than 12 months is about 99% of the reason for it.

jlicious

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2006
Washington..... state!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
You know what really sucks? Being the spouse of someone in dental school (not me, I'm the predent, but my fiance has to change jobs twice when we move to school and when we leave when i'm done)

Cymbidium

Awesome.
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
SoCal
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I've been living a lie at work for over a year now. My employer even paid for me to take a chem class under the pretenses that it would help my current work.

Oh well. I put in my time. Did good work. Now it's time to get started on my real career.

I am going to tell them in about a month after they give out raises and promotions. If they know I'm leaving I'm afraid they'll shaft me (or phase me out, as mentioned above).

Oh yeah - we don't get our raised and bonuses until April. I know I'm guaranteed a minium bonus, but I don't want to get shafted on the raise.

Cymbidium

Awesome.
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
SoCal
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
You know what really sucks? Being the spouse of someone in dental school (not me, I'm the predent, but my fiance has to change jobs twice when we move to school and when we leave when i'm done)

I hear ya - we're getting married in July and my fiance will stay in LA for his job (we can't afford to have him give up his high paying hollywood job and move to NYC or Philly or wherever and make 1/4 as much) and I will be going to D-school wherever I land. This is why you all see my obsessive posts about USC.

mmasurf

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
i am in the same boat, i haven't told anyone even close friends that i got in and i know for sure i will be taken off all projects at my research job and i will also lose authorships cause they figure your in so why do you need your name when they can help another student. I plan to tell my boss in june and hopefully i wont burn bridges ;)

lemoncurry

tequila mockingbird
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Vermont
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
tactfully say that you are grateful for the opportunity to work there and that you have chosen a new career path.

2.5 years ago, i quit my full time job to get my bachelor's in my pursuit of dental school. i pretty much said what i just said and they were all happy for me and somewhat surprised, but at the same time, i think my boss was relieved that i quit and that she didn't have to fire me, which i think would have happened eventually. too much conflict, but that's another story.

DentalDevil

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2006
NC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental

No kidding. My husband quit his job 2 years ago to move up here with me. He now has an even better job than he had before, and it looks like he's going to have to quit again. I'm still hoping I get into my state school which is only 15 minutes from where we live right now. *fingers crossed*

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.