Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
How do you formally thank your LOR writers? Is it ok to give them a Starbucks gift card? Or just a thank you card? I've heard giving gifts seem like a bribe, but I don't know how to thank them for their time.
Any thoughts?

austinap

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
CA
Status
How do you formally thank your LOR writers? Is it ok to give them a Starbucks gift card? Or just a thank you card? I've heard giving gifts seem like a bribe, but I don't know how to thank them for their time.
Any thoughts?

A nice, hand written thank you note is enough. Keeping in touch with them says a lot more about your appreciation for them than any cheap gift would. Personally, I'm sending my letter writers an autographed copy of my thesis. I've also kept up with these people since finishing undergrad a few years ago too.

TooMuchResearch

i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Townsville, USA
Status
Attending Physician
Any thoughts?
A nice thank you note should do. There's no need to get your professors/supervisors gifts.

TooMuchResearch

i'm goin' to Kathmandu...
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Townsville, USA
Status
Attending Physician
A nice, hand written thank you note is enough. Keeping in touch with them says a lot more about your appreciation for them than any cheap gift would. Personally, I'm sending my letter writers an autographed copy of my thesis. I've also kept up with these people since finishing undergrad a few years ago too.
Half of my LOR writers gave me nice autographed copies of my thesis...covered in red pen.

austinap

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
CA
Status
Half of my LOR writers gave me nice autographed copies of my thesis...covered in red pen.
Was yours a bound doctoral thesis with your committee's signatures on it? Of course, this is after the red-pen stage, assuming my committee reads it at all.

Superman DO

Oh crap, I'm really a doctor?
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you are close enough to your letter writers, a verbal thank you and maybe a small gift card works. That is what I did for my writers. . .if you are not so close, a handwritten thank you card would work (just like you would after your interviews). If you do nothing else, just get accepted and let them know. . .it makes them very very very happy!

austinap

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
CA
Status
If you are close enough to your letter writers, a verbal thank you and maybe a small gift card works. That is what I did for my writers. . .if you are not so close, a handwritten thank you card would work (just like you would after your interviews). If you do nothing else, just get accepted and let them know. . .it makes them very very very happy!

I think that's the biggest thing. If they wrote a good letter for you, it's because they genuinely want you to do well. Teachers usually have a lot of pride in their students.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I think a gift is fine, but it might make more sense after you get accepted somewhere or decide for sure where you will matriculate. Like a "recognizing your part in getting me where I am today" type of thing. That way it's not like a "bribe" for the letter, just a token of your appreciation in general. I think this would be very appreciated, especially if it is a gift you know they would appreciate. Like (I know this sounds totally lame) I gave one LOR writer a cool pictorial periodic table because she is really into the elements and actually does a nerdy "element of the day" intro at the start of each class. She loved it. Just think of your professors like normal people, most of them are.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I sent my professors a hand written thank you note telling them that I was accepted and to thank them for tolerating me :). However, I had to mail it to their school's mailbox. Should I let them know that I mailed it to them so they will be expecting it or will that kill the surprise of letting them know I got in?

Last edited:

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I sent my professors a hand written thank you note telling them that I was accepted and to thank them for tolerating me :). However, I had to mail it to their school's mailbox. Should I let them know that I mailed it to them so they will be expecting it or will that kill the surprise of letting them know I got in?
I would take your chances and just let them be surprised ;)

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Same advice for people you'll have a continuing relationship with?

stimulus package
Dec 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd keep in touch with them. I also brought them nice beer unavailable in North Carolina when I visited.

i've done something similar for the people who are going to write me LOR's.
but we tight.

there's one kid at school who made out with his prof to show his thanks. but i mean, her name was Dr. Amanda Hugnkiss, so i figure she likes random guys making out with her.

Mar 12, 2010
Status
If you get your letters but you're taking a year or two off, should I just go ahead and send them a thank you note, and then another after I actually apply? I actually told them I was applying this round but I decided to take another year off so I guess I should update them about that.

OP
J
Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks!

^^Ya I'm not sure why you really need to redate your letters if nothing has really changed from 1 yr to the next in terms of your relation to your prof. Can someone explain why reapplicants need to redate letters?

Jolt21

I Drop Knowledge
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2007
Status
Medical Student
i was going to get them all mugs from the school I decide to attend, attached with a thank you note.

OP
J
Jan 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Why do reapplicants have to re-date their letters for the current year? Is this an absolute requirement?