1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

How to type on those pdf files

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by J.Pearlman, Sep 23, 2002.

1. J.Pearlman

J.Pearlman Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello everyone, I have a question about those online secondaries. I have been backed up for weeks trying to type onto those pdf format secondaries. How do I do it.......do I just copy the whole document and paste in word. But then the secondary doesn't look like the original secondary, it has its fields in all the wrong places. Can someone please give a step by step on how to work with these acrobat secondaries. Your help much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying...but the way I found that works, although it's sort of a pain, is to use the text box tool in Acrobat, and make text boxes where you want to "type" something.

-RA

4. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    An easier way, which I only myself discovered recently, is to use the touch up text tool. Hold control, and click wherever you want to type. A line of text will be added.

5. J.Pearlman

J.Pearlman Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, I am trying to ask how people are typing their secondaries (except those typing them on a typewriter). Almost all my secondaries are online (pdf format, or adobe acrobat format). Now, I have tried everything possible to type in any text into any field on the pdf files, but it looks like the whole file is just a background and you cant type into fields. So any other suggestions..... until then, I'll try what the last post advised, thanks nitemagi.

6. gotgirth

gotgirth Greatest Icon in Wrestlng
    7+ Year Member

I think to "type" onto pdf files you need the actual Adobe Acrobat program, not just the Acrobat reader program that is free for download.

The Adobe Acrobat program then lets you type in the pdf file, add text boxes etc. It costs quite a bit though I think so you may want to find a "friend" who will let you use his for a bit.

Also, even in Acrobat it can still be cumbersome if you need to move parts of the app around (add a bit more space for your response, etc.). A solution for this is to open the pdf file in photoshop, which then lets you cut and paste freely (a bit cumbersome, but if you are familiar with the program not too bad).

So the easiest way to type into a pdf file?...Probably just to print it out and use a typewriter;) .

7. Angel_Eyes

Angel_Eyes Member
    10+ Year Member

I just downloaded the file on Reader and pasted it to word. I fussed with the word document to make it look like the actual application by keeping the online app open for a reference. Mine turned out okay but it is kind of a pain. But it's better than finding a typewriter in this day and age!! :laugh:

Just kidding. (Sorry if I offended any Pro- Typers out there!) But seroiusly. That's what I did and my apps look great! (The format at least!)

8. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

you need the full version of adobe.
    if you still dont have it, or havent figured out a work around, by say 7PM tonight, PM me and I'll set up an FTP site.

9. DarkChild

DarkChild Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

this wont last long.
    I/P: 192.168.1.101
    L/P: adobe/adobe

10. An Yong

An Yong Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If I'm not mistaken, Adobe Acrobat is simply a PDF File converter. So you need something like Microsoft word, type up your application, then convert the DOC file to PDF.

You can do this usually (if you have adobe acrobat installed that is, not the reader of course), by clicking print then where you normally select printer u have to select PDF writer.

Good Luck

11. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Ummm...that's not a valid routable IP address. It's a Class C internal IP (i.e. only people within your network can access it).

-RA

12. jot

jot

yep - that ip won't work

13. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    An,

when dealing with major and regular changes, from which you have the original word document, it is better to use word. But Adobe Acrobat(full version) can definitely be used to alter and fill out pdf's. In fact I believe it is the preferred way to use pdf's. There's acrobat distiller and pdf maker, which can convert other files, like postscripts and word docs, but acrobat itself is used for interfacing and altering pdf's themselves.