How to Use BR Bio passages and EK bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys should I read the EK bio fully and completely and THEN attempt the Bio passages in BR or try to match the passages as closely as possible to the Lectures that I cover in EK.

I feel like If I try to match the EK lectures to the Bio Br passages I am really hit passages that I have no clue on because EK didnt cover it in THIS chapter but will in the next. I feel like that would be wasting the BR bio passages and once I am done with EK I could use it as a way to find out my weak spots.

What do you think?

Also

I only took Bio 1 & 2 and cell bio. Is EK bio going to be enough content review for me or should I upgrade to TPR or TBR. I have both.

Members don't see this ad.

Read EK Biology Chapter first. Then work on the corresponding BR Bio passages. Although a few chapters correspond well to each other, you'll probably have to jump around for some chapters. For instance, when EK Biology's chapter focuses on cell structure and function, work through the passages in BR Bio that deal with cell structure and function, i.e. BR Section VI. It's kind of a pain, but it's worth it.

Most people prefer EK Bio because they like its approach. Fortunately, even if you do find you like BR Bio more, you'll have a copy to switch to. What you could do is, before you begin studying, read through an EK Bio chapter. Then, read through the same chapter in BR Bio. So read through say, the EK gastro-kidney chapter and then read the BR gastro-kidney chapter. Finally, pick which book you like more.

Thank you SN2......great reply.

So you're suggesting to read the entire EK book then hit the BR passages right?

Thank you SN2......great reply.

So you're suggesting to read the entire EK book then hit the BR passages right?

It reads like he meant read the EK chapter first and then find the corresponding practice problems in BR.

Personally, I would read through the EK Bio completely myself and use the BR passages as pracitce and review because you are bound to forget some of the readings....:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SN2ed, could you perhaps break down which chapters in BR bio to practice passages from for each EK Bio chapter?

An easier way to break it up if you want to do a consistent amount of passages everyday is to look at the topics covered in a particular chapter in BR Bio and read up on those in EK. Then go back and do the passages in that chapter. This way you are doing exactly 5 passages per phase (if you follow Sn2ed's schedule).

The only problem with this method is sometimes you will you have to double up on reading. But that also means on some days you won't have much reading to do at all.

Yesterday I read the EK bio chapter 1, did all the little 7-8 questions after each subsection, THEN i read through TBR chapter just as supplemental reading. That seemed to work really well. There definitely seemed to be a bit of information that is probably not required for the mcat but it certainly can't hurt.