How to use FC/Zanki in Organ system based curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdbath1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning medical school in August at a school with an organ system based curriculum. I would like to do FC or Zanki throughout M1/M2. Will this be more difficult than with a traditional curriculum since I will not be beginning with biochem and anatomy? If anyone has experience/advice please share!

Members don't see this ad.

I am beginning medical school in August at a school with an organ system based curriculum. I would like to do FC or Zanki throughout M1/M2. Will this be more difficult than with a traditional curriculum since I will not be beginning with biochem and anatomy? If anyone has experience/advice please share!

FC for spaced repetition and boards. Zanki to cram for Classes. I wish I had done this.

FC for spaced repetition and boards. Zanki to cram for Classes. I wish I had done this.

Curious as to why you aren't an advocate of Zanki for spaced repetition? It seems like there is so much freedom to manipulate your routine that is the perfect option.

I just switched from Quizlet to Anki (Zanki for systems review/current block & a savarese deck for OMM) & I'm loving it so far - that's why I'm asking.

Curious as to why you aren't an advocate of Zanki for spaced repetition? It seems like there is so much freedom to manipulate your routine that is the perfect option.

I just switched from Quizlet to Anki (Zanki for systems review/current block & a savarese deck for OMM) & I'm loving it so far - that's why I'm asking.

FC takes a lot of the “thinking” out of the picture.
1. What should I study today? Doesn’t matter they pull cards from different subjects. The number is based on how far away your board exam is and your target score.
2. I wonder what subjects I’m weak in? They keep track of what you mark as weak and strong and you can see that in subject specific material.
3. I wonder why that was the answer? Click on “show more” and it tells you why.

Zanki is better for our classes. Because you can just see some one word answers and get through the material fast.

So I guess in summary I use Zanki and Anki for our class stuff to cram and i use FC for comprehensive Spaced Repetition because I don’t have to really put that much effort into it and the cards are crazy comprehensive and take more time to get through. If you were to do it this way you’ll end up using both resources a good extent

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FC takes a lot of the “thinking” out of the picture.
1. What should I study today? Doesn’t matter they pull cards from different subjects. The number is based on how far away your board exam is and your target score.
2. I wonder what subjects I’m weak in? They keep track of what you mark as weak and strong and you can see that in subject specific material.
3. I wonder why that was the answer? Click on “show more” and it tells you why.

Zanki is better for our classes. Because you can just see some one word answers and get through the material fast.

So I guess in summary I use Zanki and Anki for our class stuff to cram and i use FC for comprehensive Spaced Repetition because I don’t have to really put that much effort into it and the cards are crazy comprehensive and take more time to get through. If you were to do it this way you’ll end up using both resources a good extent

I was planning on using FC for spaced repetition, but from the posts on SDN it sounds like it fits better with a traditional curriculum. Since i will not be starting with biochem/anatomy and will be jumping right into Immunology then Cardiology, will it still be effective/do you know how best work through the cards? Should I work on the biochem on my own, or just do topics along with my classes?

Firecracker literally divides its deck into organ systems (eg. Cardiology, Neurology, Gastroenterology), making it fit in very well with an organ system based curriculum. There are separate topics in "Biochemistry", "Anatomy", "Pathology", "Microbiology" etc. but you can mark those as you see fit throughout your studies.

Well said. FC is awesome. Zanki is just really good at mindlessly shoving information into your head. FC makes you synthesize more.

Reactions: 1 user
My method of study is to watch the Boards and Beyond, read/write out the firecracker section, do the firecracker questions for the section, and once I do the whole block of I go through Zanki.

On top of that, I'll watch the 6 lectures from my class at the end of the week, just so I can still do well on our exams as a lot of material on exams is not covered by boards material.

Reactions: 1 user