How to weave Osteopathic Medicine into your personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmgopal

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All applicants an med students, how did you weave your interest of osteopathic med into your personal statement?

Did you or not? Is it necessary?

I wrote my personal statement on how my Unite for Sight internship in India has motivated me to pursue medicine. And Im not sure if its ok to say that Seeing the doctors interact with patients in mass eye camps and enquiring about not only their pain/ailment but also about their family, and general state of mind reminded me of the osteopathic medicine philosophy of paying special attention/ respecting all aspects of the patient's being.

Any suggestions most welcome :)

Members don't see this ad.

vmgopal said:
Hi All applicants an med students, how did you weave your interest of osteopathic med into your personal statement?

I wrote my personal statement on how my Unite for Sight internship in India has motivated me to pursue medicine. And Im not sure if its ok to say that Seeing the doctors interact with patients in mass eye camps and enquiring about not only their pain/ailment but also about their family, and general state of mind reminded me of the osteopathic medicine philosophy of paying special attention/ respecting all aspects of the patient's being.

The general consensus, from what I have read/heard, is touch on the "why osteopathic medicine" question, but save most of your good content for secondaries. I took this route, myself.

I didn't really mean to put "why D.O." in my personal statement but it ended up that most of my experiences related to the DO philosophy. I broke down my statement into three areas: 1) cultural experience, 2) Personal, athletic and fitness training and consulting at a hospital, 3) Emotion experiences because I worked at a Rape and Assault Shelter. Threw in a little about this amazing DO that inspires me and just a little about my family of Chiropractors that believe VERY strongly in OMM. Showing that you are a well rounded individual is great and especially emphasis cultural experiences which it looks like you have. There is a link on this site that shows the number of times certain qualities were mentioned as being desireable by Medical School staff. I just pasted it. Good luck.

#1 Qualites
sensitivity
communication skills
humanitarian beliefs
enthusiasm
creativity

diversity
uniqueness
interest
compassion
empathy

motivation
commitment
sincerity
honesty
maturity

Members don't see this ad :)
Why medicine is the general theme for the P.S., keep why DO for secondaries.

fitnessexpert said:
I didn't really mean to put "why D.O." in my personal statement but it ended up that most of my experiences related to the DO philosophy. I broke down my statement into three areas: 1) cultural experience, 2) Personal, athletic and fitness training and consulting at a hospital, 3) Emotion experiences because I worked at a Rape and Assault Shelter. Threw in a little about this amazing DO that inspires me and just a little about my family of Chiropractors that believe VERY strongly in OMM. Showing that you are a well rounded individual is great and especially emphasis cultural experiences which it looks like you have. There is a link on this site that shows the number of times certain qualities were mentioned as being desireable by Medical School staff. I just pasted it. Good luck.

#1 Qualites
sensitivity
communication skills
humanitarian beliefs
enthusiasm
creativity

diversity
uniqueness
interest
compassion
empathy

motivation
commitment
sincerity
honesty
maturity

That's really helpful, thanks! I've been kind of having trouble putting everything I want to say in half a page.

I used the same statement for allopathic and osteopathic schools, albeit the DO version was abridged due to the stricter character requirements.

Out of curiousity, what were the character limits to both applications?

vmgopal said:

I only wrote a few sentences on the subject then really elaborated on my secondaries. but mainly I described how I wanted to treat patients as a whole, not just diseases, learn OMM that I can't get from allopathic medicine. how DO vs MD has influenced me in the clinical setting. no opinions, just observations.

Thank you everyone for ur input. I am planning to submit my AACOMAS today! Im excited!

PS the limits on essays:
AMCAS-5300
AACOMAS-4500

What if the secondary doesn't ask why DO? Where can I convey this to the school? Can I send the essay anyway?

exigente chica said:
What if the secondary doesn't ask why DO? Where can I convey this to the school? Can I send the essay anyway?

It will. If by some chance it doesn't, you'll get the chance to convey your interest in osteopathic medicine during your interview.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I used the same statement for allopathic and osteopathic schools, albeit the DO version was abridged due to the stricter character requirements.

Same Here! I waited for the interviews to answer questions.

I was trying to do this same thing last year. Here is a copy of my personal statement. I think it was decent. And it got me an acceptance. I went through a lot of revisions and the people on here helped a lot too. Hope it helps.
-Rob
Link to personal statement

Here is how it ended up: “OK, we can read Harry Potter again,” I announced as children ran to me, each clutching a copy of The Chamber of Secrets in their hands. As their faces lit up, I realized that Harry and the gang had become great friends who made reading fun while they taught us valuable lessons. During my years as chair of the DEAR (Drop Everything and Read) program at Westmoreland Elementary, I shared numerous tales and exploits, many with the same moral: by helping others, we receive the greatest rewards. And just as each story is different, service comes in many forms and takes us on numerous adventures. With a love for science propelling me forward, the following summer I began another adventure joining Dr. Tim Elgren in his biochemistry research lab. Experimenting with hazardous toxins and oxidizers, I worked to determine mechanisms of catalysis for haloperoxidases in sol-gels - silica matrices that allow solution chemistry to be performed with solid phase enzymes. I learned about process and protocol, experimentation and scientific creativity. Research allowed me to find new techniques for bioremediation that could potentially help others in the future. After graduation, I began a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. Funded by a generous fellowship, I spent time in Siberia and Edinburgh researching holistic medicine, specifically psychoneuroimmunology and shamanism. As I became more involved in my self-designed project, I started experiencing what I was researching. I felt and saw the connection between the mind and the body through my interaction with holistic healers and medicine men. I observed how unreservedly patients rely on others for treatment. I saw the miraculous power of love and witnessed strength gained from hidden resources. I learned that patients can heal themselves. My numerous adventures have helped me learn the importance of treating the whole person, a philosophy I plan to use one day when I am a physician. By addressing spiritual, psychological and physiological needs collectively, we allow the patient to truly heal. In my job at Concord Hospital, the patients I see make the greatest progress are those who believe, despite suffering and set- backs, that they will become well again. I have witnessed the effect hope has in combating illness, and the power of love in fighting disease. I believe that we can be means in fighting our own sicknesses. Inherent in osteopathic doctrine is this concept of holistic care and disease prevention. Through both study and personal experience, I’ve learned that medical science that does not attend to spiritual, emotional and physical needs is incomplete. I have been fortunate to have remarkable experiences, and I have learned so much by helping and serving others. My adventures have given me a clear direction and an unquenchable drive. Medicine offers a great opportunity to give back. I am grateful for my past adventures and eager for those that lie ahead.