How to well on the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anoda013

GPA-DREAMFIGHTER
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys after reading so many breakdowns I wonder how Am I really going to get this done. I have three months of at least 8 hours to study from Monday to Friday. Please advise me if I have a chance to get this done

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If it's 8 hours a day I think that's more than enough time.
Download Ari's 10 week guide and you'll have an extra 2 weeks wiggle room.

Generally speaking, the DAT is a mostly an exam of memorization and recall. With enough hard work you will see progress/improvements

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah exactly 8 hours a day monday- friday. I have 2 kids so weekends are complicated for me. Thank you guys

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah exactly 8 hours a day monday- friday. I have 2 kids so weekends are complicated for me. Thank you guys

Good luck :)

I have lots of respect for people who balance the DAT/mcat with kids and other commitments .

You got this , one step at a time

That's a good amount of time to get the information under control. I would recommend downloading Ari's schedule and purchasing the materials he has listed on it. When I studied, I spend about 8-10 hrs/day studying for the same duration of time as you. Good luck!

Perfect samin thanks. Any one knows hot to modify ari's schedule to go through destroyer twice or should I just do it after im done with the guide

Perfect samin thanks. Any one knows hot to modify ari's schedule to go through destroyer twice or should I just do it after im done with the guide

Ari's schedule did the trick. The only special thing I did was devote about a week to memorize the roadmaps and chad's reaction list for organic chem. I also didn't really bother to read the science article every day :p

Ari's schedule did the trick. The only special thing I did was devote about a week to memorize the roadmaps and chad's reaction list for organic chem. I also didn't really bother to read the science article every day :p

Thank you very much that is a good tip, I also plan to replace Barron's AP biology for Ty Jacobs biology notes. What do you all think? Because ari has in his schedule cliffs bio and also Barron's ap bio

I believe cliff is much better than anything else! I would not go to any other source! Cliff is the way to go and after cliff destroyer and bootcamp! Ty Jacob and other notes are to condense and can be confusing at time! So cliff is way to go

I'd like to note that the DAT does not have to be a test of memorization. The non-science sections are the easiest to score high on to boost your AA. QR is high school math, flat out. People put so much effort into memorization of science facts they lose track of basic math concepts. If you've graduated high school there really is no reason to not score 20+ on QR.
The PAT takes some practice but once you know how to do each of the mini-games its really easy. The only factor the plays into it is time, as you're rushed on this section.
RC tests how well you can read. You went to college and had to read scientific text at some point. You get a passage and have to answer questions - but can look back into the passage to find the answer. This also is really a test of time as the answer is literally on the screen, you just have to find it. If you score well on these three sections you're already guaranteed a 19+ AA.

Studying for the sections is a LOT faster than relearning the entire breadth of biology on the exam, which really is unfeasible to non-biology majors. There is too much biology to learn if you haven't learned it already, so focus your science studying into GC and OC, of which the material was covered in the basic dental prerequisites.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd like to note that the DAT does not have to be a test of memorization. The non-science sections are the easiest to score high on to boost your AA. QR is high school math, flat out. People put so much effort into memorization of science facts they lose track of basic math concepts. If you've graduated high school there really is no reason to not score 20+ on QR.
The PAT takes some practice but once you know how to do each of the mini-games its really easy. The only factor the plays into it is time, as you're rushed on this section.
RC tests how well you can read. You went to college and had to read scientific text at some point. You get a passage and have to answer questions - but can look back into the passage to find the answer. This also is really a test of time as the answer is literally on the screen, you just have to find it. If you score well on these three sections you're already guaranteed a 19+ AA.

Studying for the sections is a LOT faster than relearning the entire breadth of biology on the exam, which really is unfeasible to non-biology majors. There is too much biology to learn if you haven't learned it already, so focus your science studying into GC and OC, of which the material was covered in the basic dental prerequisites.

Amazing thanks

The Mario Party nostalgia is real :D

Members don't see this ad :)
more than good materials, you need to formulate a plan and stick to it. everything will fall together afterwards. how youre going to review and what you want to accomplish each day is very important. plan it out!

Nike this. Work hard and have some kind of a plan. I was never able to definitively create a schedule but i forced myself to get a certain amount done each day so I knew I was making progress.

If you study 8 hours a day (highly unrealistic) you will probably be getting about 3.5 hours max of actual studying. The rest will be lazy time.

I have a great study program that will work, and is adaptable.

If you study 8 hours a day (highly unrealistic) you will probably be getting about 3.5 hours max of actual studying. The rest will be lazy time.

I have a great study program that will work, and is adaptable.

Do you mind sharing it with me please thanks

Guys after reading so many breakdowns I wonder how Am I really going to get this done. I have three months of at least 8 hours to study from Monday to Friday. Please advise me if I have a chance to get this done

You'll do great. I did it in 1.5 months while writing PhD thesis from scratch. Balanced work/life, got 8 hours sleep everyday. 4 hours of focused study per day.
25AA, 24TS, 24RC, 22 PAT

Used:
Princeton + Kaplan review textbook (Princeton easier to understand and better for first-pass)
DAT destroyer + math destroyer series (The Dieckmann condensation reaction in that series saved me on the real test, but didn't show up in my review textbooks)
DAT bootcamp is amazing overall. Great for timing.

You'll do great. I did it in 1.5 months while writing PhD thesis from scratch. Balanced work/life, got 8 hours sleep everyday. 4 hours of focused study per day.
25AA, 24TS, 24RC, 22 PAT

Used:
Princeton + Kaplan review textbook (Princeton easier to understand and better for first-pass)
DAT destroyer + math destroyer series (The Dieckmann condensation reaction in that series saved me on the real test, but didn't show up in my review textbooks)
DAT bootcamp is amazing overall. Great for timing.

Thank you very much

Good luck Anoda! :) I did it in two months while working in lab. Used Feralis/Russell's notes for bio, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, and Bootcamp for problems. Used CracktheDAT for additional PAT tests. Studied on avg 5 hrs/day, and used a notebook to note down all the problems I missed. Make sure to do the problems more than once. And make a weekly schedule to keep track.
25 AA, 26 TS, 26 PAT, 22 RC

for me, I looked at my GPA and then realized how much I needed to work on the DAT LOLL

Good luck Anoda! :) I did it in two months while working in lab. Used Feralis/Russell's notes for bio, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, and Bootcamp for problems. Used CracktheDAT for additional PAT tests. Studied on avg 5 hrs/day, and used a notebook to note down all the problems I missed. Make sure to do the problems more than once. And make a weekly schedule to keep track.
25 AA, 26 TS, 26 PAT, 22 RC

Thank you so much and congratulations on such fantastic scores