how to withdraw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady bug

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I want to withdraw my app from a particular school, is it ok to just call the school, or would it be more appropriate to send them a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

They will want it in writing.

what about e-mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go for a formal letter. I tried faxing withdrawals last year, and some schools wanted my original signature. :rolleyes: Why are you withdrawing so early? :confused:

i don't mean to pry, but i'm really curious... why would one withdraw an app and what would be the benefits of doing so?

Originally posted by rae-chill
i don't mean to pry, but i'm really curious... why would one withdraw an app and what would be the benefits of doing so?

Well, I'm considering doing the same thing (contingent upon getting in at one of the schools I've interviewed at - we need a smiley for keeping your fingers crossed). One school was a "safety" that I don't really want to go to because of the location, so I'd withdraw from my interview slot and give someone who really wants to go there a slot. Another I visited and really didn't like the area of town (didn't feel safe), so if I got in somewhere else I would decline an offer or withdraw if I hadn't heard anything yet.

That being said, how would you go about wording such a letter?

Before you withdraw... Make very sure it is what you want to do. There is no going back if you change your mind. All withdraws are FINAL!!!!!!!!

The schools that are online have a box that you can click that tells the school you are withdrawing. MCV does.

I would send an official snail mail letter to the school. It is the most professional thing to do.
If you want to call them first and let them know and follow it up with letter, that might be ok as well.

Dear Admissions Committee,

I am writing this letter to inform you that I would like to withdraw my application to XYZ school school of medicine, effective immediately.

Thank you for your kind attention,
Zoobaby

If you want to explain your reasons, that's fine, but there is no need, really. It's none of their business.

Lady Bug,
I was so horrified when I saw your name next to your subject title. I was about to bust some guts and tell you to not give up..there's still hope...to not withdraw from ALL your schools....stay determined, blah blah.

It's really good to know that after all the trials, you are still in the running. KUDOS! You are inspiring. :clap:

Tweetie

are we supposed to withdraw if we decide not to fill out a secondary?

I don't think it's absolsutely necessary. You're app isn't complete until after the secondary, so there's really no app to withdraw. I suppose it would be polite to let them know, so they won't waste time and resources notifying you that your app still isn't complete.