How to Work on CARS Timing for FLs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FauxBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm struggling on the timing of the CARS section for my FL practices. I'm usually finishing within 2-3 minutes before the time ends (90 minutes). As a result, about midway through my CARS FLs, I am usually feeling anxious about time and tend to speed up and lose accuracy. I can do individual CARS passages fine under 10 minutes, but when it comes to the CARS FL, I am running low on time.

Should I practice with more passages in a row (like 9 passages in a row)? However, I'm very low on CARS resources at the moment (finished EK101, TPR hyperlearning, khan academy CARS Qpack 1 and half of CARS QPack 2). What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Starting timing yourself on individual passages for 8-9 minutes to give yourself a little buffer.

Reactions: 1 user
@FauxBlue use any denser articles you can find online and give yourself about 120 mins to finish 20 of the articles. For each article, set a stopping point of about 6-7 paragraphs in. If you want to build focus, stamina, and speed, this is a great way to do it. Do this daily for 2 weeks and see how you feel about timing then.

Do not reread. I started doing this and I ended up with usually 10-13 min to spare. I'm still getting the same number of questions right. Try it for a few passages (4-5 in a row) and see if it works.