How tough is California REALLY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm making a very tough decision between staying in CA for Med school or leaving the state for a potentially better school...so it comes down to rotations and residencies.
I have heard conflicting reports about how "closed" California is to out-of-state students (for away rotations) and out-of-state graduates (for residency). Anyone want to comment? Would I be making a mistake in leaving CA if I want a residency here?
Thanks guys, this kind of info is hard to come by. :D

Members don't see this ad.

As for away rotations, it is fairly easy to do several months at most of the California schools, no matter what school you attend. For residency placement, it is probably true that obtaining a California residency is a bit more difficult when coming from a school out-of-state, but since your dilemma involves a "better" out-of-state school, the reputation of the school would probably help you.

Of course, if you're a stellar applicant, it really doesn't matter (to an extent) where you go to school.

It depends on how much "better" the other school is. If you look at the out of staters are *most* California residency programs they tend to come from pretty high powered medical colleges.

But then again, most California medical schools are considered pretty darn good. Frankly if it were me, I'd choose the cheapest, best school which California beats almost anywhere hands down. The school you are considering would have to have an awful lot to offer before I'd turn down $8,000 a year (or so) in tuition.