How tough to match into Internal med or PMR with average COMLEX/USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monarchyyyyy

Reaction score
Hey all. Just wondering, assuming someone gets average COMLEX or USMLE scores, like 550ish and 220ish respectively, assuming one applied broadly, what are the chances? I know there are other factors like research, LOR, but just want a simple estimation based on boards, since those are the most important. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are smart enough to pass boards, you are smart enough to know that charting outcomes gives you your desired "simple estimation based on boards

For PMR if your 220ish is above 220 you have around a 90% chance. If below about a 75% chance.

For IM if your 220ish is above 220 you have around a 99.5% chance, if below you have around a 96% chance".

@AnatomyGrey12 please comment on this thread so they can see your sig and be linked to C.O.

Reactions: 1 users
With those scores, you will definitely match SOMEWHERE. For IM, look at this:

upload_2018-10-15_10-3-29.png

https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinsta...Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Osteo.pdf

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
See my sig. make that document your best friend.

Reactions: 1 user
Board scores are not the most important criteria for PM&R. Our board score averages are among the lowest of all specialties. But we are more competitive than it seems because a lot of people want to go into PM&R and there aren’t enough spots. Our match rate is quite low considering how low our board scores are. It used to be 89-93% of US seniors who applied to PM&R would match. That was back in 2015 and prior according to WUSTL’s residency roadmap guide. Not sure if we’re easier to get into now or harder.

I don’t know why that doesn’t translate into higher board scores bough-must be all the dumb students like me want to go into the field...

It will be very hard to get into a top program with average scores. But most programs are not top programs.

For the rest, having an average board score, demonstrated interest in and understanding of the specialty (PM&R rotation, PM&R LOR, knowing what PM&R means...) and a decent personality gives you a very good chance of matching-if you apply broadly.

Use the charting outcomes stats as a guide. I ranked a few more programs that what it recommended. I had a classmate who matched his last choice PM&R program. But that’s better than not matching!

Reactions: 1 user
Board scores are not the most important criteria for PM&R. Our board score averages are among the lowest of all specialties. But we are more competitive than it seems because a lot of people want to go into PM&R and there aren’t enough spots. Our match rate is quite low considering how low our board scores are. It used to be 89-93% of US seniors who applied to PM&R would match. That was back in 2015 and prior according to WUSTL’s residency roadmap guide. Not sure if we’re easier to get into now or harder.

I don’t know why that doesn’t translate into higher board scores bough-must be all the dumb students like me want to go into the field...

It will be very hard to get into a top program with average scores. But most programs are not top programs.

For the rest, having an average board score, demonstrated interest in and understanding of the specialty (PM&R rotation, PM&R LOR, knowing what PM&R means...) and a decent personality gives you a very good chance of matching-if you apply broadly.

Use the charting outcomes stats as a guide. I ranked a few more programs that what it recommended. I had a classmate who matched his last choice PM&R program. But that’s better than not matching!
I'd prefer Any program, not just a top one.
Thanks for the answer!