How [un]friendly is Oncology as a profession for DO students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hippocrates II

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming medical student at an osteopathic medical school (KCU). I have long had an interest in possibly becoming an Oncologist in the future, did some minor cancer research in undergrad, and had a focus in cancer biology in my undergrad major.

I have been working with an old work contact on doing some research during M1 at his clinic. He's giving me the option between cancer-specific research, or another more general research project that would probably look better if I decided against oncology in the future.

I'm very comfortable with the idea of doing specific cancer research early on, but I can't find much data to suggest oncology is a probable fellowship opportunity for a DO. I'm looking at many cancer fellowship rosters and do not see a single DO in any of them. Is it not a very friendly DO specialty? KCU has a great track record of placing students in "mid tier" (for lack of a better term) academic IM programs. Is that enough, assuming the rest of the app is fhere, for a DO to comfortably match into heme/onc?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed. If you try to get into heme-onc and dont match, it likely wouldnt be because you are a DO. If its what you like, then go for it. There is about an 80% match rate for heme-onc so have a back up plan if you otherwise arent a great applicant. I do think DOs have a lower match rate but its not like its 20%. My guess would be around 60%. The data is out there. Look it up on nrmp and you will know what your chances are.

Last edited: