How useful are EK 1001 Biology and TBR Organic Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dartmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am debating whether to go through TBR Organic or to use TPR Organic with TPR Science Workbook Organic? I am almost done with TPR Organic...2 more chapters left. Anyone do well in BS with TPR Organic?

Is EK 1001 Biology truly helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have them already, then I'd go through them as your time allows. I would DEFINITELY suggest you go through the BR lab techniques section completely. It explains things so well and given the propensity of the test writers to ask about experiments, it's a must. The carbonyls section is very good too.

If you have them already, then I'd go through them as your time allows. I would DEFINITELY suggest you go through the BR lab techniques section completely. It explains things so well and given the propensity of the test writers to ask about experiments, it's a must. The carbonyls section is very good too.

I second this. The BR Lab techniques chapter is one of the best in the entire Ochem set. You may as well use the BR passages to help practice if you already have the book, they're very good.

As for EK Bio 1001, I haven't used them, but I didn't really find the 1001 workbooks to be particularly helpful and ditched them halfway through studying. They're good for quick and dirty practice but they don't help as much with helping you learn the MCAT format. The thing is, the Biological Sciences section almost always throws things at you that isn't covered in content review anyway, and you're sort of forced to reason out the answers based on the passage and on charts/graphs, and other data. Non-passage discreet style questions have limited use in helping you with this.

I haven't seen/used TPR orgo, so I can't speak to that. I will say that I think the organic books are the best of the entire TBR lineup. The later chapters include some excess information (as often seems to be the case with TBR), but for the most part the books are thorough, concise, and easy to understand. They do a good job in the early chapters of emphasizing the aspects of organic that let you see patterns in reactions based on reactivity rather than memorization, the importance of which cannot be overstated.