How Useful is Georgetown SMP program?? thanx!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluefly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have 28mcat, 3.3 gpa.

I was wondering for those of you that did SMP program, how useful was in terms of getting you into a med school.

and what's considered doing well in the program, meaning all As? and Should I take the mcat again to raise to a 30 even if i plan to do the SMP program at georgetown.

thanx !! please help me to make decision... my whole next year depends on all of your replies. :)

Members don't see this ad.

exmike and some others on sdn did georgetown smp. you can do a search and see which members did it and ask them their opinions on the matter.

just during the time that i have been reading sdn, there are some people that say its really good and others that say that it barely helped them out. but this is just coming from someone who knows nothing about it basically.

do searches and PM the experts ;)

28MCAT and 3.3gpa - you sound like a perfect candidate for this program unless maybe you did really well in your last couple years and not so well in your first couple (in which case you might not even need it). Anyway, you're borderline, so a program like this can do you good.

I assume you went to their homepage? If not, they have a link to SMP alumni and indicate where they all are now. It seems like the majority were in med school. Also, click on the forum - you can ask questions to current SMP students.

Good luck with everything - you're ok on your numbers if you can boost it with good grades in a masters, research, and clinical experience (my numbers weren't too far from yours and I've gotten in 3 places thus far).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ek6
Good luck with everything - you're ok on your numbers if you can boost it with good grades in a masters, research, and clinical experience (my numbers weren't too far from yours and I've gotten in 3 places thus far).

Hey ek6,

First of all congrats on getting in 3 places so far, that is awesome! I just wanted to ask, since my numbers are right around where you guys' are (my goodness being on the bubble is really nerve-wracking), and was wondering if you did a masters/post-bac/etc first to help boost your app that you think gave you a better shot and ultimately get you in? Thank you so much. :)

thanx guys! gosh i love this whole sdn thing. when my friend told me about it at first, i thought it was all nerdy and stuff...hehe, now im so "into" it! :D

but yeah, i read their web page like 5 times. looks great, and would be helpful most likely. but it's almost 25,000 a year!!!

so, if it's not a big help, i rather take some classes at community college or a regular college and get 'A's in those.

you know, im looking for the more "easy" way out to prove my ability. :)

but it's really useful, then i guess i'll just have to take out the money that i saved to buy jimmy choo shoes and gucci bag... snif snif :p

Originally posted by bluefly
but it's really useful, then i guess i'll just have to take out the money that i saved to buy jimmy choo shoes and gucci bag... snif snif :p

LOL...you're awesome! Good luck with the program! :)

Hey,

I applied to SMP, but in the end, decided not to do it. I ended up doing a masters program at UMDNJ (cheaper, state school, flexible program) since I didn't just want to take classes. I'm doing a thesis right now and am valuing the extra, independent research.

However, my SPECIFIC case was that I did extremely well my last two years and mediocre (bunch of B's) during my first two years. Taking this into account, along with the fact that I got a couple A's in tough courses at Columbia (I worked there after graduating college, so tuition was free), I thought that it was more important for me to just do a little better on the verbal section of my MCAT. That apparently was enough. I took classes here at UMDNJ for my first semester and sent in my first semester grades as updates to schools, but by December, I already had 5 interviews, so the point is - these extra courses didn't really help or anything.

If you did extremely well in your last two years, then maybe doing a different masters program (a more traditional one - with a thesis) would be more beneficial since you're not "just taking classes" and doing a thesis as well - which could lead to publication. This of course, only applies if you're interested in research. If not, then you could look into public health programs (but I think most of these require 2 years). I'm finishing my program in a year and I'm sure there are other masters (aside from SMP) that can be completed in 1 year. Just keep in mind that if you do SMP, it should be because your grades are a little low (you know, like a 3.0-3.2) and you need a boost. If you have a 3.3 and don't really have a strong upward trend, then I say go for it.

If you decide on it, adcoms know it's a tough program and at the very least, it shows that you're dead serious about going to med school. If you don't do it, then I think you'll still have a chance with a 28, 3.3 (although "very borderline")...just apply to 20 schools, like I did! The third, alternate choice is to do the "traditional" masters program, like I mentioned above - the advantage is that 1) you can still take classes, although they won't be med school courses, 2) adcoms will still respect it, 3) you get extra research experience, so in case you get in somewhere early on, you won't feel like spending money on the SMP was a waste of your money. If you want to start fall 2005, you would just need to research programs that'll allow you to finish or leave in a year - I bet state schools would allow this - if you're around new york and don't mind snow, roswell park has a nice program. Anyway, good luck with everything and I hope this has helped. I was in your position one year ago...stressing to death, but after you get in and you know it's what you want - it's a great feeling. Good luck!