how useful is phlebotomy and how often is it used?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldman

Senior Citizen
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how often do you draw blood in med school? do you practice it on each other? or on patients? also when do you get to start IVs??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm certain the answer is different for every school... and some students with clinical exposure try their hand at phlebotomy before even starting med school.

At Hopkins, you'll formally be taught how to do this (phlebotomy and IV) during the Clinical Skills course in the second year. We practice on each other at first, and are given opportunities to round with the phlebotomists and IV nurses. Remember, see one, do one, teach one. Sounds silly, but this is true for these techniques. If you round with someone, they'll probably do the first case and expect you to do the rest. Many students also run IVs while shadowing anesthesiologists (a popular activity for first and second year students at Hopkins).

Cheers,
doepug

sounds fun. i really want to try starting IVs.

are you allowed to do femoral sticks as well?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by doepug:
•I'm certain the answer is different for every school... and some students with clinical exposure try their hand at phlebotomy before even starting med school.

At Hopkins, you'll formally be taught how to do this (phlebotomy and IV) during the Clinical Skills course in the second year. We practice on each other at first, and are given opportunities to round with the phlebotomists and IV nurses. Remember, see one, do one, teach one. Sounds silly, but this is true for these techniques. If you round with someone, they'll probably do the first case and expect you to do the rest. Many students also run IVs while shadowing anesthesiologists (a popular activity for first and second year students at Hopkins).

Cheers,
doepug•••••

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends, most importantly, on your resident. Some will let you do EVERYTHING and others won't even let you talk to patients.

Technically a med student can do anything that a resident/attending allows, I think.

We had a 2 hour phlebotomy lab during our first year Heme block where we practiced on each other. It was just to give us exposure to it.

Clinical practice is during our second year. The majority of your IV experience will be during rotations during 3d year.