How useful is this for old MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

connie95

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many people think Biochem. helped them in the MCAT? If so, how much did taking the course beforehand help? Was it a lot? Really useful? And why?

Members don't see this ad.

I havnt taken the MCAT yet but I have found so far that biochem is an EXCELLENT review of biology and maybe 2nd semester gen chem. Also the depth of knowledge has been helping me form new connections between material instead of relying on pure memorization. Obviously you can take my opinion with a grain of salt since I have not taken the mcat but I think that biochemistry will definitely be useful.

Biochem is very useful for the 2014 MCAT, but if you are taking the 2015 MCAT, it is required.

Members don't see this ad :)
I havnt taken the MCAT yet but I have found so far that biochem is an EXCELLENT review of biology and maybe 2nd semester gen chem. Also the depth of knowledge has been helping me form new connections between material instead of relying on pure memorization. Obviously you can take my opinion with a grain of salt since I have not taken the mcat but I think that biochemistry will definitely be useful.

Biochem is very useful for the 2014 MCAT, but if you are taking the 2015 MCAT, it is required.

Okay, thanks! I'm taking Biochem. now and was initially wondering if I should drop the course, because it's not technically considered an easy course and I'm also studying for the MCAT. If it wasn't useful, I would have dropped it, but clearly most people think it is helpful! I am also a little weak in biology, so I hope biochem. will do something to help!

I took biochem (along with ochem 2) the semester before I took the MCAT. I felt like it really helped me. It is a difficult course, but I found that it made me stronger in the bio section of the MCAT.

Okay, thanks! I'm taking Biochem. now and was initially wondering if I should drop the course, because it's not technically considered an easy course and I'm also studying for the MCAT. If it wasn't useful, I would have dropped it, but clearly most people think it is helpful! I am also a little weak in biology, so I hope biochem. will do something to help!

It'll help, just because you might get a brutal replication passage (for example) and have no idea from your intro bio training alone.

Also, if - heaven forbid - you need to retake, you'll be screwed if you haven't taken biochem.

Biochem for the old MCAT is sort of like shooting an ant with a gun. of course it will help but you don't NEED it. overkill imo

I basically did not do any Biochem content review for the MCAT because of my biochem course. Highly recommended.

there was at least 1 discrete question on my mcat that was pure biochem. there's a CHANCE I would have gotten it if I hadn't taken biochem. but not a very good one.

I read from BR for MCAT review and it's helped for review, but it doesn't seem to be helping on actual MCAT test passages. It seems like a good knowledge of cell & molec is sufficient. I've heard this from several others as well.