How useful is undergrad microbio for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindyhopper

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the last three semesters I've TAed sections of undergrad Anatomy & Physiology while completing a master's in Bio. This upcoming spring I can switch to a couple of sections of microbiology. I've found that teaching has helped me learn the material much more throughly than when I took the class. TAing A&P 2 for a second time, however, would have seriously diminishing returns to my understanding of the material.
I did well in micro as an undergrad, but I'm starting to forget the stuff. I'm looking at TAing as an opportunity to refresh my understandings before med school. I assume, but I'm not sure, that micro has to be helpful to know in med school.
Any advice or input is welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

for med school taking classes beforehand doesn't really help that much - no real advantage IMHO - the shear med school type of volume and depth that is required to be digested on a daily basis is not like anything you'll see outside of medical school - no real carry over. plus mostly what you learn undergrad is covered in the first day or two of lecture and then it's all a new ballgame. one class I do recomened is histology - if you're family with tissue under the scope you'll be miles ahead of your M1 colleagues who are only seeing pink and purple. if youre starting medical school soon - freakin relax and exjoy what life you have left because you will not get anything resembling a break until 4th year (medical school's way of saying, "hey, no hard feelings for those first three years") and nothing after that until you're done with residency. relax - let the micro slide.

For the last three semesters I've TAed sections of undergrad Anatomy & Physiology while completing a master's in Bio. This upcoming spring I can switch to a couple of sections of microbiology. I've found that teaching has helped me learn the material much more throughly than when I took the class. TAing A&P 2 for a second time, however, would have seriously diminishing returns to my understanding of the material.
I did well in micro as an undergrad, but I'm starting to forget the stuff. I'm looking at TAing as an opportunity to refresh my understandings before med school. I assume, but I'm not sure, that micro has to be helpful to know in med school.
Any advice or input is welcomed.
I have to agree with the prior poster. While having it in undergrad won't hurt you, the leg up you have won't be all that much, if anything. Many schools won't have you taking micro until second year and by then you will likely remember nothing, and the level of detail in med school will dwarf whatever you learned prior anyhow. The best advice is always take what you like, not what you think will help you. You will have time enough for med school courses in med school. You will likely not have the opportunity again to take non-med related college courses you might be interested in. Better to make yourself well rounded rather than one dimensional by taking courses you are going to take again anyhow. Med school is going to turn you one dimensional and make you boring enough as is -- no reason to get a head start on this. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to be clear, I've already taken the micro course. My choice is between TAing A&P a second time or TAing micro. There isn't some alternative option to take a nonmedically related course.

Just to be clear, I've already taken the micro course. My choice is between TAing A&P a second time or TAing micro. There isn't some alternative option to take a nonmedically related course.

In that case only do it if the money is really good, or you need an extra line on your resume. Spending the time on another type of EC (research, clinical experience) will probably help more. You've already taken the course so any "help" in med school from your undergrad course, albeit doubtful, has already been gleaned.

In that case only do it if the money is really good, or you need an extra line on your resume. Spending the time on another type of EC (research, clinical experience) will probably help more. You've already taken the course so any "help" in med school from your undergrad course, albeit doubtful, has already been gleaned.

I agree. I am actually a clinical microbiologist, but I faced a pretty steep learning curve from having a Master's in microbiology to working in the medical micro field. They just don't cover the material the same way in undergrad. There seems to be no noticeable difference between micro majors and psych majors in medical micro as far as having any sort of advantage goes. In the end, it will come down to who puts in the most work.

TA'ing a course looks pretty good though. Schools will be impressed that you learned the material well enough to teach it. Teaching is a very valuable skill for a doc.

TA'ing a course looks pretty good though. Schools will be impressed that you learned the material well enough to teach it. Teaching is a very valuable skill for a doc.

Well if you've TA'ed already, I am with Law2Doc as far as other EC's are concerned. If you TA and then blow arse on the relevant section of the MCAT, really it will just make your school look bad for hiring you. TA if you need the money, but my impression was that the OP had already been accepted so he needn't impress the school anymore. Otherwise do something you enjoy.

I'd do A&P. Chances are you won't see any micro until second year at most schools, and that's far enough away to avoid being relevant.
exactly. You'll have forgotten micro by the time you get there. Keep doing A&P if you're going to be a TA, because at least you'll start that in the fall of first year.

exactly. You'll have forgotten micro by the time you get there. Keep doing A&P if you're going to be a TA, because at least you'll start that in the fall of first year.

I just took micro 3-4 months ago, and I've forgotten 95% of it. Lol. Dam brain.
Guess it's true, if you dont use it, you lose it. :confused:

for med school taking classes beforehand doesn't really help that much - no real advantage IMHO - the shear med school type of volume and depth that is required to be digested on a daily basis is not like anything you'll see outside of medical school - no real carry over. plus mostly what you learn undergrad is covered in the first day or two of lecture and then it's all a new ballgame. one class I do recomened is histology - if you're family with tissue under the scope you'll be miles ahead of your M1 colleagues who are only seeing pink and purple. if youre starting medical school soon - freakin relax and exjoy what life you have left because you will not get anything resembling a break until 4th year (medical school's way of saying, "hey, no hard feelings for those first three years") and nothing after that until you're done with residency. relax - let the micro slide.

I couldn't disagree more. I took micro in undergrad and found it to be fantastic preparation for my medical school micro class. Histo too, is a great course for preparation (from what I've heard).

I agree with the statement about having a lot of volume in med school courses, but depth? There's so little depth that it's laughable. Med school is all about plowing a 40-acre field 1 inch deep. You cover EVERYTHING, but in very little detail. I heard physio was pretty in-depth, but even it turned out to be a dumbed-down version of a ChE class called transport phenomena that I took in undergrad.

I couldn't disagree more. I took micro in undergrad and found it to be fantastic preparation for my medical school micro class. Histo too, is a great course for preparation (from what I've heard).

I agree with the statement about having a lot of volume in med school courses, but depth? There's so little depth that it's laughable. Med school is all about plowing a 40-acre field 1 inch deep. You cover EVERYTHING, but in very little detail. I heard physio was pretty in-depth, but even it turned out to be a dumbed-down version of a ChE class called transport phenomena that I took in undergrad.

Maybe you had easier med classes than I? Perhaps more rigorous undergrad? I came out of undergrad with a molecular/cellular bio degree and took formal bacteriolgy, virology, and parsitology courses - it wasn't med school, not even close. Doesn't really matter, med school sucks and taking extra courses, or more properly here TAing extra courses probably won't help that much. Relaxation before school is good, but premeds won't listen. I didn't . . .

As for depth . . . I do not know about your school, but we're all taking a graduate level education and depth was important where I go. If we're going to be called "doctorae" we should know a thing or two . . . no?