how valuable is clinical research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to COVID, my summer research program will be online and I have the option of writing a clinical trial protocol and being a co-author. My PI thinks that this will count as clinical research with a lot of writing; just wondering how valuable this is compared to bench research?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure but if literally there is nothing else you can do, then just take it for now. That said, there are those that would argue that Clinical Research is not truly research, nor is it truly clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Authorship is authorship and this is perfectly fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends upon what you want to get out of it, because not all clinical research experiences are the same.

The best ones will be where you have actual patient contact experience, and are doing something with and/or for the patients, other than enrolling them. For example, taking BPs or other vitals is a good thing.

The worst is where you're just doing logistical stuff. Calling them up and enrolling them or reminding them of their app'ts is dealing with research subjects, not patients.

That's the clinical part. Now for the research, if you're learning about the scientific method and testing a hypothesis, that's all good. You just crunching numbers isn't all that good.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends upon what you want to get out of it, because not all clinical research experiences are the same.

The best ones will be where you have actual patient contact experience, and are doing something with and/or for the patients, other than enrolling them. For example, taking BPs or other vitals is a good thing.

The worst is where you're just doing logistical stuff. Calling them up and enrolling them or reminding them of their app'ts is dealing with research subjects, not patients.

That's the clinical part. Now for the research, if you're learning about the scientific method and testing a hypothesis, that's all good. You just crunching numbers isn't all that good.
it will be more about writing up an entire clinical research protocol, so it would require some research, but I would not be doing any of the patient interaction stuff; i would help write it, get it approved, and then others would do the actual experimenting. what do you think of that?

it will be more about writing up an entire clinical research protocol, so it would require some research, but I would not be doing any of the patient interaction stuff; i would help write it, get it approved, and then others would do the actual experimenting. what do you think of that?
Doesn't do much for me as an Adcom. Maybe the research who.....um, sex workers will like it, but you'll need the rest of the app to match for them

you're overthinking this; this is perfectly fine for a summer and if you think you'll enjoy the work just do it; just make sure you check the other boxes (clinical hours, volunteering, etc) some other place

I have a question regarding this. I recently found an opportunity where I'd be volunteering by handing out surveys to patients and instructing them on how to fill it out. I don't know if this experience is worthwhile, considering that I'm already working as an emergency room volunteer in the local hospital, where I clean beds and interact with patients. I honestly have no idea how to find something where I'd be learning about the scientific method and testing a hypothesis, as you put it.

I have a question regarding this. I recently found an opportunity where I'd be volunteering by handing out surveys to patients and instructing them on how to fill it out. I don't know if this experience is worthwhile, considering that I'm already working as an emergency room volunteer in the local hospital, where I clean beds and interact with patients. I honestly have no idea how to find something where I'd be learning about the scientific method and testing a hypothesis, as you put it.
It's not clinical research, that's for sure.

Reactions: 2 users