How was Genetics for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If all goes as planned I'll be taking Chem 1&2 along with History and my Bio 1 Lab this summer. This would set me up to be in Organic and Genetics my sophomore year. I've read several horror stories about Organic Chemistry, but what about genetics? Is it one of the more difficult science classes? I'm having trouble in my basic Biology class now, I'm probably gonna finish with a D. Is this any indicator on how I'll do in upper-level Biology classes like Genetics?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you got a D in basic intro biology you probably cant take genetics until you pass it with a C or higher. If your school doesn't have that policy then retake intro bio anyway because a lot of stuff is elaborated upon in genetics.

If you got a D in basic intro biology you probably cant take genetics until you pass it with a C or higher. If your school doesn't have that policy then retake intro bio anyway because a lot of stuff is elaborated upon in genetics.

+1

If your issue with intro bio is the material then you will likely have the same trouble with genetics. IMHO Ochem's difficulty is overblown, it's not as hard as ppl make it out to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, the material in my Bio class isn't overly-complicated. My problem is that I don't study. And it doesn't help that we don't have homework, quizzes, worksheets, reviews, etc. It's only four tests, and that's all. But I know the main problem is my study habits, which I hope to improve on next semester.

Thanks for the replies, the material in my Bio class isn't overly-complicated. My problem is that I don't study. And it doesn't help that we don't have homework, quizzes, worksheets, reviews, etc. It's only four tests, and that's all. But I know the main problem is my study habits, which I hope to improve on next semester.

Yah not studying for biology isn't very smart. Retake bio so you can get a deeper grasp of the material not to mention medical schools will not accept anything below a C in a pre-req course.

I agree with the other posters. Additionally, I think you should figure out exactly why you received a "D" in your intro biology class. Identify what made this particular class problematic and ensure that this doesn't happen again. I'm sure you already know that a "D" is painful for your GPA; Genetics will be equally, if not more, difficult than this intro biology class.

Eep, just realized I was ninja'd. My point still stands though. Hammer out those study habits before you retake intro biology/take Genetics.

Pre-requisites are a formality. If you get a C in Biology, it is not exactly an indicator of how you're going to do in upper-level biology courses. Grades aren't always the best reflector of your grasp on a subject.

And to answer your question, like with any class, your grade depends on the teacher, the students around you, and your effort and natural talent. Genetics is what you want it to be, but you should definitely be able to handle genetics alongside organic chemistry if they're you're only two science courses.

Yah not studying for biology isn't very smart. Retake bio so you can get a deeper grasp of the material not to mention medical schools will not accept anything below a C in a pre-req course.

Really? I had no idea. My final for Biology is tomorrow, if I ace it, I'll have a C, possibly even a B because of my extra credit. Hopefully I do good on it, I actually studied for it. I don't think I could sit through that class again, it puts me to sleep.

@ iniquus I'm not entirely sure yet, but I think I'll be in a Biochem class as well.

Really? I had no idea. My final for Biology is tomorrow, if I ace it, I'll have a C, possibly even a B because of my extra credit. Hopefully I do good on it, I actually studied for it. I don't think I could sit through that class again, it puts me to sleep.

@ iniquus I'm not entirely sure yet, but I think I'll be in a Biochem class as well.

I hope you do well too, retaking a class just throws you off the trail. I've always been a firm believer in upper-level classes compensating for lower-level class grads (as long as you don't have too many Cs). I would seriously recommend not taking biochemistry until after you've taken organic chemistry. I also think thats a science-heavy courseload...take some humanities classes too to keep you balanced (maybe get an "easy A").