How was/is critical care fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTRNtoDR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm and EM first year resident and I was curious about how critical care fellowships were. How many hours do you work, do you feel overworked, do you get a lot of independence, is it fun/enjoyable? I love being in the ICU and I'm just trying to decide if its worth two extra years for me or not. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm and EM first year resident and I was curious about how critical care fellowships were. How many hours do you work, do you feel overworked, do you get a lot of independence, is it fun/enjoyable? I love being in the ICU and I'm just trying to decide if its worth two extra years for me or not. Thanks in advance for your answers!
They are all so vastly different. Just like residencies. You’d have to ask specifically about certain programs. Some are easy hours, some are brutal. Some treat you like a junior attending, some like a resident.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Some are cakewalks, some are brutal. For the most part, you get out what you put in short of your program being filled with scut.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you love, live and breathe critical care, do it (in a good internal medicine/multidisciplinary program). If you don't obsess about it, don't. It's a very easy, straightforward, decision if you're passionate. Most GOOD critical care docs are. (One needs a lot of passion to keep up with the amount of literature and nights/weekends.)

If you're unsure, then go practice as an attending, and see if you miss critical care. Most unsure people don't.

To answer the other part of your question: best year of my GME. Royal waste of money for me, but the step up in medical thinking and echo skills was palpable. I am an anesthesiologist, so it may be a different experience for EM docs.

To me, it's the best part of my work. Nothing makes me happier than changing a disease course, possibly saving a life. Futterwacken, baby!

Reactions: 2 users
If you love, live and breathe critical care, do it (in a good internal medicine/multidisciplinary program). If you don't obsess about it, don't. It's a very easy, straightforward, decision if you're passionate. Most GOOD critical care docs are. (One needs a lot of passion to keep up with the amount of literature and nights/weekends.)

If you're unsure, then go practice as an attending, and see if you miss critical care. Most unsure people don't.

To answer the other part of your question: best year of my GME. Royal waste of money for me, but the step up in medical thinking and echo skills was palpable. I am an anesthesiologist, so it may be a different experience for EM docs.

To me, it's the best part of my work. Nothing makes me happier than changing a disease course, possibly saving a life. Futterwacken, baby!

I would say that the middle 12 months (of a two year program) were the best part of my training. The first six months were terrifying and I was in over my head, the last 6 I was burned out and adequately trained.