How was your internship like?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jake3787, Jun 5, 2008.

1. jake3787

Pre-Dental
    I'm currently doing my internship in a hospital, and for the first time, I am experiencing what doctors go through. So far...I'm a little bit sad, because I think medicine is not for me...

My current mentor is one that truly wants the best for us. Very knowledgeable and wants to expand my knowledge in medicine. Constantly asks me to shadow him and then will explain why he did this or that after each examination. I really enjoy this part, because I learn so much and it satisfies my curiousity about the human body (I have always loved learning about the human body) however....

The constant journal articles, paperwork, stress to perform your best, and unending hours is crazy. I also dislike the obvious brown nosing that many of the longterm interns/residents do. I hate the setting where people can brownnose and get away with doing crap work. I also dislike the hierarchy of the business. I can understand why its there, but I don't like being commanded (crazy huh, I know).

I'm going to shadow a dentist this weekend. I'll finish my internship in August though...So we'll see what happens over the summer. But for now, I hope dentistry or the rest of my internship brings my hopes up. Or else I dunno what I'll do.

Was your internship also a smack in the face? Was it similair to mine? Just curious and looking for answers on what road to take for my career.

P.S.- By no means am I lazy. I understand to be successful, you have to work hard in life. But I want a life and job. Two separate entities. I don't want my life to become my job. Sigh sigh...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian

Resident [Any Field]
    I used to be a banker and saw similar things in that job as well and that was a totally different industry. You can have a life and succesful career, but in medicine, depending on the speciality you choose, sometimes it's hard to have that separation. But remember as you said, in order for you to have any type of strong career, you have to go through a lot of the things that you are witnessing in your internship. And if you are having serious doubts about it, then perhaps you should rethink your career path. Medicine is one of those fields where you have to constantly keep yourself updating so reading every night or a few times a week and taking re-certification exams is critical to be a good doctor.

But also keep in mind, that once your basic training is done and you've established yourself, you can adapt yourself to have the kind of lifestyle you would like. Assuming that you choose a certain specialty, you can have a fairly comfortable lifestyle and balance your personal life and work. However, medicine is one of those fields in which you rarely find the nice, cushy 9-5 jobs even in the ROAD specialities - it's just not that kind of field. However you can come close.

But it seems like you are looking for something that medicine may not offer you. Check out the dentist and see if that aligns more with what you are looking for in a career. I would also suggest you be patient and go through a few different volunteering experiences and talk to several different docs in different specialities before you write medicine off.

Good luck.

4. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.

Attending Physician
    Internship sucks. 5 more overnight calls and I'm done.

5. ejay286

ejay286 Member

Pre-Medical
    Is interning something you do during residency or while in med school? Is it paid? If so how much?

6. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Traditionally internship refers to your first year post-med school. It is generally done in Internal Medicine or General Surgery. This is generally a requirement for specialty fields that want you to know the basics of the field that you will be entering... So if you're going into Derm, you might have to do a Internal Medicine intern year. Urology, a surgical intern year.

It is paid, but not well.

I believe the OP is doing an internship that was set up as a pre-medical enrichment experience. Not the same as what I just described.

7. paradocs we are

paradocs we are In love with you

Medical Student
    I dream of internship every night. Aren't you super excited?! Think about it. You will meet lots of new people and actually get to sit next to the important people.

8. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.

Attending Physician
    If you do the math working 80 hours a week and getting paid 39K it comes out to about 9 dollars and some change per hour. So again internship sucks.

9. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]

Why are you listed as pre-dental if you're interested in going into medicine?

10. paradocs we are

paradocs we are In love with you

Medical Student
    Oh, way to burst my bubble.

Still excited!

11. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    internship has to be better than medical school though

medical school you're working like 80 hours per week and PAYING 50k + living expenses, so thats like -$16/hour salary

graduation gives you a $25/hour raise!

12. Menomena

Pre-Medical
    Suppose you make $40K. That's $767/week in a 365 day year. (There aren't exactly 52 weeks in a year, so you can't use that.) $767 divided by 80 rounds $9.59/hour.

But what if it was actually hourly instead of salary? Then overtime would be counted. So 40x + 1.5(40x) = $767, where x is the hourly rate. Solving for x gives $7.67/hour.

That's barely more than minimum wage job in my state! Seems strange, get a 4 year degree, then a 4 year graduate degree, and barely beat minimum wage. Oh, well. I guess the pay as an attending compensates for it. :)