• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

How weighted are post-bacc GPA vs. Cumulative GPA's?

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
  1. Pre-Medical
Quick question for you fine folks on SDN. How is it viewed when someone (ie: myself) had a low cumulative GPA (2.7) because of supporting themselves and their family through their undergraduate life vs. a 3.7 GPA of post-bacc work (~40 quarter units worth)

With MCAT scores aside, and assuming the post-bacc courses are challenging in some form or another (upper div engineering/upper div biosci), and assuming i sufficiently explain what was up with my life during my undergraduate career in my personal statement.

Pretty much all i'm hoping for is to get to secondaries for schools that screen. At this moment, it seems I will finish this quarter (winter 04) with a 3.67 GPA for post-bacc work. Kinda proud of that, but man doesn't do much for the ole cumulative GPA..haha.

futuredrswife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
FL
i should think you'd have no problem at many schools, but some difficulty at others. my husband was in your situation (very similar numbers, but wasn't supporting family... just didn't really know what he wanted to do), and people told him all different things along the way, post-bacc. at schools that take your entire file into account and value diversity (i don't mean race), you seem to be better off. some schools look almost exclusively at post-bacc performance, while some look only at overall GPA.

my husband applied to 10 schools. he received secondaries from all 10, rejections post-secondary at 3, interview invites from 5, and no word from the other two (assuming rejections, but he wants to make them earn their money by giving him some sort of decision). he turned down 2 interviews and has 1 acceptance and 2 "hold lists" right now.

just get your application in EARLY - that's going to be huge for you.

good luck!

relentless11

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
  1. Pre-Medical
Originally posted by futuredrswife
i should think you'd have no problem at many schools, but some difficulty at others. my husband was in your situation (very similar numbers, but wasn't supporting family... just didn't really know what he wanted to do), and people told him all different things along the way, post-bacc. at schools that take your entire file into account and value diversity (i don't mean race), you seem to be better off. some schools look almost exclusively at post-bacc performance, while some look only at overall GPA.

my husband applied to 10 schools. he received secondaries from all 10, rejections post-secondary at 3, interview invites from 5, and no word from the other two (assuming rejections, but he wants to make them earn their money by giving him some sort of decision). he turned down 2 interviews and has 1 acceptance and 2 "hold lists" right now.

just get your application in EARLY - that's going to be huge for you.

good luck!

Well thats good to hear! Thanks for the encouragement!:D

About the Ads

lilgecko

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2003
One problem I had was the conversion of post-bac quarter units to semester units. For example, I thought that I was doing great to get a 4.0 for 15 quarter units but for the AMCAS application, these 15 quarter units converted to 9.9 semeter units. Somehow, 10 units just wasn't as impressive as 15!

So realize that the great GPA for your 40 quarter units will convert to the same GPA for around 26 semester units when you do the AMCAS application.

relentless11

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
  1. Pre-Medical
Originally posted by lilgecko
One problem I had was the conversion of post-bac quarter units to semester units. For example, I thought that I was doing great to get a 4.0 for 15 quarter units but for the AMCAS application, these 15 quarter units converted to 9.9 semeter units. Somehow, 10 units just wasn't as impressive as 15!

So realize that the great GPA for your 40 quarter units will convert to the same GPA for around 26 semester units when you do the AMCAS application.

Thats not too much of a problem, since at the very least the University of Calfornia schools can understand that 12 units/qtr is the minimum requirement for full-time status. I think that works out to be 8.7 or something semester units.

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by relentless11
Quick question for you fine folks on SDN. How is it viewed when someone (ie: myself) had a low cumulative GPA (2.7) because of supporting themselves and their family through their undergraduate life vs. a 3.7 GPA of post-bacc work (~40 quarter units worth)

With MCAT scores aside, and assuming the post-bacc courses are challenging in some form or another (upper div engineering/upper div biosci), and assuming i sufficiently explain what was up with my life during my undergraduate career in my personal statement.

Pretty much all i'm hoping for is to get to secondaries for schools that screen. At this moment, it seems I will finish this quarter (winter 04) with a 3.67 GPA for post-bacc work. Kinda proud of that, but man doesn't do much for the ole cumulative GPA..haha.

I think a lot of schools are very forgiving, especially ones that like what nontrads can bring to the table (Cornell, Yale no doubt).

That being said, don't expect Hopkins to come knocking down on your door offering you a scholarship either.

Id say you have a wonderful shot at med school. :) Schools love to see how someone can refocus and really live up to their potential. You probably have just begun ;)

CCW

relentless11

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2001
  1. Pre-Medical
Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
I think a lot of schools are very forgiving, especially ones that like what nontrads can bring to the table (Cornell, Yale no doubt).

That being said, don't expect Hopkins to come knocking down on your door offering you a scholarship either.

Id say you have a wonderful shot at med school. :) Schools love to see how someone can refocus and really live up to their potential. You probably have just begun ;)

CCW

Hey thanks for the kind words. Pretty much i know its gonna be a long up hill battle regardless of my GPA. In retrospect, i'm kinda glad I have to go the post-bacc route. I've experienced far more exciting things this past year than the 4 years of undergrad combined.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.