how well did you do your first year of college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rc524

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my semester is almost over and I'm not doing as well as I wish I could. I think its taking me a longer time to adjust than I expected. Is this normal for a first time college student? It seems like I need to find a way to study that works for me. Also how do all four years differ from each other? Do they get easier/harder? I'm just trying to get feedback. Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Fall semester 4.0
Spring 3.97

I came into college knowing it was not going to be easy. I just studied a lot.

Hi, my semester is almost over and I'm not doing as well as I wish I could. I think its taking me a longer time to adjust than I expected. Is this normal for a first time college student? It seems like I need to find a way to study that works for me. Also how do all four years differ from each other? Do they get easier/harder? I'm just trying to get feedback. Thanks a lot

Did absolutely no studying and I bombed it, destroyed my gpa. It took me a while to get my gpa back on track. don't worry though. You can do it. :D:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Just do your best to learn from your experiences. Try to figure out what study strategies worked and which ones didn't. I personally did well my first year in college, but some of my struggles came later. I just had to reevaluate what I was doing, and I got back on track. I'm sure you'll figure things out.

I bombed it. It took me a while to figure out how to study too, but mostly it just took me a little while to learn how to think like a scientist and then everything was much easier.

Worked really hard and it showed...3.8+ GPA

It's going to get harder, not easier. Orgo and Physics are tough, depending on the difficulty of your particular college in those courses.

First year: 3.9 Final GPA at graduation: 3.9

to any freshman worried about it:
my first semester freshman year was a DISASTER...complete sh**show (i mean really, REALLY bad). consumed way too much alcohol. my second semester was better, but still not great....my last 3 years (6 semesters) were all very strong. i didnt know how schools would treat the year, but im amidst 11 interviews. there is hope for freshman adjustment periods...most places havent even asked me about it.

First semester I got a 3.01

I finished with a 3.7

It is all about how you learn from your mistakes. I actually found that the more I learned how to study, the easier it got. The last 2 years of college for me were SO EASY. Learn how to learn and you'll be fine.

If you are not doing well because you have too much of a social life then the answer is simple...shift your focus from too much social life to academic life. And you are determined enough you will do will in your future semesters.
However, if you are studying a lot and still not doing well then you need to change your learning skills; try to study "smarter" rather than harder if that is the case. And then if you put effort into acquiring new learning strategies then there is no reason why you shouldn't be successful.
From my experience, premed courses are the hardest courses! It does get easier because you learn to adjust! I needed one entire summer to get adjusted to college environment.

raised it to a 3.96 after the summer

this semester..who knows:(

First semester: 3.47
Second semester: 3.8

I was lucky to come out of my first semester with a 3.47. Going into finals I had 3 Cs and 2 Ds, but I got my act together and rocked my finals, ending up with 2 As and 3 Bs. Basically, I overscheduled myself with too many tough courses, especially considering that I was playing a varsity sport that semester. I pretty much coasted through high school without too much effort, and it took me all of first semester to figure out what I needed to do to be successful in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ridiculously well.

Haha!

My first semester, I got a 0.018. Or maybe it was just 0.18. Either way, it was awesome. My EtOH was higher than my GPA, pretty much the whole time.

Second semester was not much better. Like a 1.0 or something.

I was not quite ready for the responsibilities of being a student at a major university.

Haha!

My first semester, I got a 0.018. Or maybe it was just 0.18. Either way, it was awesome. My EtOH was higher than my GPA, pretty much the whole time.

Second semester was not much better. Like a 1.0 or something.

I was not quite ready for the responsibilities of being a student at a major university.
Way to stir the pot up ;). Oh well, you're going to be Dr. TexasTriathlete so who cares what others think, right? :thumbup:

First semester 3.75
this semester not so good.

3.27 - but i blame going to a top institution and alcohol rather than myself :)

First Semester: 4.0
Second Semester:3.9

The bad thing is it can only go down from here but the good thing is obviously that it was a great start.

Yeah... I'm on the later half of my first semester now as well. For me, the challenge lies in understanding how everything works. I am much more confident in beginning my second semester now because I know what I need to do. This semester will probably end in approximately a 3.87, but I am hoping next semester goes better even though I'm taking 3 more credit hours :rolleyes:.

I am looking at 4.00 for my first semester I came in however, knowing what I had to do and a desire to learn how to do it.

God knows what will happen next semester... I now have a girlfriend, will be shawdoing and will be in numerous organizations.:scared:.. That and adding on harder classes and possibly heavier course load.

I think the key is not forgetting why you are in college. And not comparing yourself to others.

I home schooled so freshman year was all review the first semester and the second semester I was in a car wreck a couple weeks into school and was in physical therapy the rest of the semester

1st semester- 4.0
2nd semester-2.8

yea 2.8 that kills your overall and even more your science when 12/15 hours were science courses!!!

Didn't take classes in the summer that year!

Way to stir the pot up ;). Oh well, you're going to be Dr. TexasTriathlete so who cares what others think, right? :thumbup:
I'm 30 now. I went back to school at 26 and put it together pretty well. It took me some time to develop study habits, and my math skills were weak because I hadn't done math since high school (my gen chems, physics, and calculus hurt my post-bac GPA a little), but I rocked the biological sciences. I think that between anything with a BIO prefix, o-chem, and biochem, my GPA is probably 3.8-ish. I am far from the 18-24 year old who ****ed around constantly in college. And now I'm headed to medical school, so not only do I not care what others think about my GPA, I am proud of what I've been able to accomplish, and how shockingly easy school is if you just try.

I'm 30 now. I went back to school at 26 and put it together pretty well. It took me some time to develop study habits, and my math skills were weak because I hadn't done math since high school (my gen chems, physics, and calculus hurt my post-bac GPA a little), but I rocked the biological sciences. I think that between anything with a BIO prefix, o-chem, and biochem, my GPA is probably 3.8-ish. I am far from the 18-24 year old who ****ed around constantly in college. And now I'm headed to medical school, so not only do I not care what others think about my GPA, I am proud of what I've been able to accomplish, and how shockingly easy school is if you just try.

wow! amazing comeback story TEX. Ur like the rocky balboa of med school. I bet you yelled, "yo adrian I did it!!" when you finally got in. CONGRATS AGAIN, and good luck to you.

:wow: Go baby go! I hope I can pull that off!

Had a 4.0 GPA for my entire first year...that's what happens when you take GE classes, stuff is a joke. I've only had one B so far though out of about twenty classes...have only come across one teacher who was an dingus and wouldn't give you a good grade no matter how hard you tried.

First semester I had a 1.725, pretty bad :( And it was at a community college :( Once I got to my four year institution I decided to turn it up, so to speak, and now have just over a 3.5 (over a 3.9 at my university). Grades can be salvaged, especially one poor semester :) Of course, after that **** semester, I did join the Marine Corps Reserve. That changed my outlook, motivation and work ethic considerably. Just APPLY EARLY when, in three years, you do apply.

3.15 first semester, 3.45 second semester

But don't sweat it at all, it'll go up as you head into your junior and senior years (I'm currently sitting on a 3.65 with 1.5 semesters to go, so I may actually graduate with that 3.7 after all, haha).

Besides, if you feel that your GPA is a little weak, either: a) make sure you study hard for the MCAT and rock that (35+), or b) make sure you develop good relationships with professors who can vouch for your personal qualities come letter of recommendation time, because that will be as telling, if not more so, of who you really are.

It's all a matter of balancing out strengths and weaknesses in your application, and then just seeing where the chips fall.

First semester: 2.97
Second Semester: 2.87
Third Semester: 2.91
Fourth Semester: 2.92

3 more years worth of 3.9+ (5 years of undergrad total) and no post-bacc/SMP left me with about a 3.59 overall GPA and a 3.62 BCPM.

Just got my first MD acceptance in the mail today. I've had several (5+) interviews so far.

Hopefully that will give other people some hope. Never give up.

First semester 4.0 (only 12 credit hours)

Transferred over to a harder college, 15 creds, 3.74 (unbelievably hard teacher refused to give anybody higher than a B+ and it was a COMMUNICATIONS class!)

My roomate apparently had a gpa of .5 last semester, this semester he told me he has a 2.0...he still wants to apply to Cornell :X

First Semester: 3.95
Second Semester: 4.0

It's all about finding your study groove and using the weekends well... If you really want to be a doctor, you'll find the motivation to get the grades you need :)

First semester: 2.7
Second semester: 1.2 (got put on probation)
Third semester: 2.2
Fourth semester: 2.8
Fifth semester and beyond: >3.0+

Now I need to retake some of the classes that I took in my first two years to "fix" the cGPA.

I have 27 credits to retake. So it will only take me a year to fix the cGPA (which I will be starting this spring semester). By retaking these courses I will raise my GPA 0.4. I might even throw some classes from some other colleges via distance education to raise my GPA 0.5.

First semester: 2.7
Second semester: 1.2 (got put on probation)
Third semester: 2.2
Fourth semester: 2.8
Fifth semester and beyond: >3.0+

Now I need to retake some of the classes that I took in my first two years to "fix" the cGPA.

I have 27 credits to retake. So it will only take me a year to fix the cGPA (which I will be starting this spring semester). By retaking these courses I will raise my GPA 0.4. I might even through some classes from some other colleges via distance education courses to raise my GPA 0.5.

Just remember that for MD schools, the AMCAS is going to average both grades (original and retake), so the original grade won't just disappear. I think (THINK) with DO schools, they take the newer grade. But I may be wrong, someone can correct me if I am.

You very well may already know that and have taken it into account, I just want to make sure you don't set yourself up for disappointment when you find out. Best of luck!

Just remember that for MD schools, the AMCAS is going to average both grades (original and retake), so the original grade won't just disappear. I think (THINK) with DO schools, they take the newer grade. But I may be wrong, someone can correct me if I am.

You very well may already know that and have taken it into account, I just want to make sure you don't set yourself up for disappointment when you find out. Best of luck!

Yup, I already know. I'm just looking at my cGPA without all of that application stuff. I don't plan on applying MD for a couple of years yet (if I even apply to DO or MD schools). I love medicine, but the crap one has to go through makes me question if I really want it that bad. Working as an allied health care professional would be good enough for me. I can still work at a clinic and have a private pratice and be a genetics expert witness.

Yup, I already know. I'm just looking at my cGPA without all of that application stuff. I don't plan on applying MD for a couple of years yet (if I even apply to DO or MD schools). I love medicine, but the crap one has to go through makes me question if I really want it that bad. Working as an allied health care professional would be good enough for me. I can still work at a clinic and have a private pratice and be a genetics expert witness.

Good deal man. Wasn't trying to sound like a know-it-all, so hopefully I didn't come off of one. Hopefully whatever you do decide to pursue, it goes well for you. This entire ride is a long and bumpy one, that's for sure.

Good deal man. Wasn't trying to sound like a know-it-all, so hopefully I didn't come off of one. Hopefully whatever you do decide to pursue, it goes well for you. This entire ride is a long and bumpy one, that's for sure.

It's all good. What really sucks is that the grades you get in any class after you graduate high school are with you for life. I can't think of anything that as much of a life setence as your grades are except for a convicted murder.

I might even take more then the 27 credits back over. If I did, I would have to retake English 101, lol. Like I don't have the ability to get a good grade in freshman level english as a graduating senior. What killed me was getting a D- in Intro to Literature (sorry, but I hate reading novels), a C in both terms of general and organic chemistry, a C- in anthropology, and a C in botany.

I will be retaking general and organic chemistry, nutrition (got a C+ in that class..fricken idiot didn't study), intro to literature, and a history class.

All of these courses I did poorly in were in my first two years of being in college. I didn't mature mentally until I was a junior (which was last year).

So by retaking these classes I will go from a 2.8 (only if I didn't do so bad my freshman year) to a 3.2.

Those 4 credit classes can kill or make your GPA.