How well do you know your Psychology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMDeeMan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, i have a couple of questions for the experts. I'm not a psych major and am only taking it as a pre-req. I have a few questions that I need answered ASAP. it's from my study guide for my exam on monday morning (8 am). i've read my text over and over and my professor won't help out with these question. here they are...

True or False
Major depression disorder is one of the most severe of the anxiety disorders.
-my thoughts are false because it is a mood disorder. am i right?

Carl Jung differed from Freud in that Jung advocated the existance of what while Freud did not?
-totally lost here, my text does not compare contrast them well.

Which theory of personality is most widely accepted today and represents a more scientific approach to understanding human differences?
-my guess is the Five Factor theory, what you all think?

CASE STUDY
4 year old Freddie would love to have all the cookies in the cookie jar, but he knows this is not possible because his big brother's would be very unhappy. When they are unhappy, they make sure Freddie is unhappy so Freddie decides to eat just 2 cookies. What challenging part of the personality allowed for this resolution of Freddie's conflict?
-lost, not getting the grasp of this chapter with all the different theories (Personality Theory and Assessment)

CASE STUDY
Michelle is visiting with her therapist trying to find why her life is so difficult and why she doesn't seem to manage her time well. Her therapist, Dr. Connelly begins their sessions by asking Michelle to interrupt her when she pauses and say whatever comes to mind. Dr. Connelly says, "I worry a great deal about ...." and then trails off waiting for Michelle to respond. Dr. Connelly is using what? (particular therapy technique)
-heard it in lecture, just slipped the mind.

CASE STUDY
It is difficult to have a conversation with Bill. He tends to interrupt often, change the topic to himself, and he rarely smiles or gives indication he is happy to be talking with you. He doesn't seem to notice the affect his behavior has on others. Research on gender differences in personality characteristics would indicate what about Bill?

In both human and animals, high levels of ___________________ have been linked to aggression.
- i have Androgens, just not 100% sure for some reason

In the response to stress, what hormones are produced?
-I have ACTH released via the pituitary when then activates the adrenal cortex to release glucocorticoids which ultimately is the active hormone to aide in resisting the stressors.

can anyone help me out here?

Members don't see this ad.

looks like everyone is afraid to touch this.

I'll take this on. :D

UMDeeMan said:
OK, i have a couple of questions for the experts. I'm not a psych major and am only taking it as a pre-req. I have a few questions that I need answered ASAP. it's from my study guide for my exam on monday morning (8 am). i've read my text over and over and my professor won't help out with these question. here they are...

True or False
Major depression disorder is one of the most severe of the anxiety disorders.
-my thoughts are false because it is a mood disorder. am i right?
Correct. Anxiety and depression are both mood disorders, but they're not the same thing.

Carl Jung differed from Freud in that Jung advocated the existance of what while Freud did not?
Sorry, this isn't something I'm familiar with either. Jung and Freud developed very different models of the psyche, as far as I'm aware.

Which theory of personality is most widely accepted today and represents a more scientific approach to understanding human differences?
-my guess is the Five Factor theory, what you all think?
That's what I was taught as well.

CASE STUDY
4 year old Freddie would love to have all the cookies in the cookie jar, but he knows this is not possible because his big brother's would be very unhappy. When they are unhappy, they make sure Freddie is unhappy so Freddie decides to eat just 2 cookies. What challenging part of the personality allowed for this resolution of Freddie's conflict?
-lost, not getting the grasp of this chapter with all the different theories (Personality Theory and Assessment)
I don't have enough context for the information you're drawing answers from to be able to help much. Sorry!

CASE STUDY
Michelle is visiting with her therapist trying to find why her life is so difficult and why she doesn't seem to manage her time well. Her therapist, Dr. Connelly begins their sessions by asking Michelle to interrupt her when she pauses and say whatever comes to mind. Dr. Connelly says, "I worry a great deal about ...." and then trails off waiting for Michelle to respond. Dr. Connelly is using what? (particular therapy technique)

This sounds like free association to me.

CASE STUDY
It is difficult to have a conversation with Bill. He tends to interrupt often, change the topic to himself, and he rarely smiles or gives indication he is happy to be talking with you. He doesn't seem to notice the affect his behavior has on others. Research on gender differences in personality characteristics would indicate what about Bill?

Er, that he's male and somewhat narcissistic? I'm not being very helpful here, sorry.

In both human and animals, high levels of ___________________ have been linked to aggression.
- i have Androgens, just not 100% sure for some reason

Yeah, androgens.

In the response to stress, what hormones are produced?
-I have ACTH released via the pituitary when then activates the adrenal cortex to release glucocorticoids which ultimately is the active hormone to aide in resisting the stressors.

Yeah, that's a long-term response to chronic stress. In an immediate, short-term stress situation, the adrenal medulla typically releases epinephrine and norepinephrine. That usually happens before the HPA axis has time to do much.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDeeMan said:
looks like everyone is afraid to touch this.

Naw, I'm not afraid, I have taken more than my fair share of psyc classes. I just dont wanna do your homework for you.

applause Aphisitis. :thumbup:

Bickle - it's not homework bud, it's a study guide for my final, and it had over 200 questions on it. these were the one's i had left, you aren't doing my homework bud, and as you can see, for most of the question, i added my input as to as far as my thinking has taken me. you mean to tell me you never asked for help from a fellow student? i bet you are a gunner, i don't want to be your friend in dental school

UMDeeMan said:
applause Aphisitis. :thumbup:

Bickle - it's not homework bud, it's a study guide for my final, and it had over 200 questions on it. these were the one's i had left, you aren't doing my homework bud, and as you can see, for most of the question, i added my input as to as far as my thinking has taken me. you mean to tell me you never asked for help from a fellow student? i bet you are a gunner, i don't want to be your friend in dental school

Haha if i was a gunner, I'd be going to school in Canada.

I'm the first in line to help my friends, I've never met you nor have I ever had any contact with you until now on SDN, you are not my friend. And theres a difference between helping and straight up giving answers to some homework assignment. Now you say this isnt an assignment, I have no choice but to trust you on that. Later BUD.

no choice to trust me on that? well it is a study guide. and i'm not just looking for answers. it's a honest call for some help. i am admitting my lack of knowledge and am looking for help from superior minds. you didn't have to try to put me down by hiding your lack of ability to answer/help me out. you didn't have to post anything if you didn't want to help me. why would someone post just to say they aren't going to help? hmmm.....sounds like a psychology problem itself.

as far as the gunner thing, you come to the US to go to school because from what i've seen here, allegedly canadians are smarter and have had a better undergraduate education. which means you being an average canadian student makes you a better then the normal US dental student. hence a higher ranking in your class since we are the not as smart americans. i am saying this because characters like Woodsy go on and on about how hard canadian schools are and how canadian students come down here and rip righ through the dschools.

UMDeeMan said:
no choice to trust me on that? well it is a study guide. and i'm not just looking for answers. it's a honest call for some help. i am admitting my lack of knowledge and am looking for help from superior minds. you didn't have to try to put me down by hiding your lack of ability to answer/help me out. you didn't have to post anything if you didn't want to help me. why would someone post just to say they aren't going to help? hmmm.....sounds like a psychology problem itself.

I think you misunderstood. I said I have to trust you on that. And yes, some do say I have a pyschological problem or two.

more bumpage, i'm pretty set on the answers for all of them now except the case studies. so if you can help with the 3 case studies, rock on.

UMDeeMan said:
[....]

My guess would be the subconscious.

UMDeeMan said:
CASE STUDY

My guess: the superego (clue was "part of the personality")

UMDeeMan said:
CASE STUDY

My guess: rational-emotive therapy?

UMDeeMan said:
CASE STUDY

He's the "typical guy"?

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head. Good luck with your test!