How/when to communicate to program directors my willingness to relocate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtdan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it is a bit early but I want to make sure I am prepared for when the time comes. I am a Florida resident, in med school in the Northeast. I would like to match in the Southeast, including Texas and Florida. I would very seriously consider any program in these states and do not want program directors to pass me by because I have only been in the Northeast and Florida.

How would I go about communicating the seriousness of my application to program directors and when would it be best to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who moved from the west coast to the midwest--in the interview. I strongly suspect quite a few placed did not take my app as seriously because of geographical bias. For the programs I was really interested in I tried pre-interview email contact after I saw that they were handing out invites and had some small success, but ultimately it is a degree of crapshoot that you cannot change.

You can also put something in your personal statement to this effect- something about really wanting to make a geographical move for residency; your adventurous spirit, etc. Then definitely emphasize in the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
How would I go about communicating the seriousness of my application to program directors and when would it be best to do so?

The issue is with the volume of applications, unless your numbers are off the charts, you may not make the first, second, or third passes through the packets, especially if you are in a medical school they've never gotten residents from.

After the application is in, probably around August/September, I would make some phone calls to the program administrators and emails to the program directors of programs you haven't heard from to express interest. The first step is to get an interview in one of the areas. Once you get an interview at one of the programs in say the Houston area, call the others and ask if they'd consider interviewing you as well.

The away rotation will only help at the one place so if you have a favorite, that might help.

The one big bang that might help would be to go to the ASA meeting in October down in New Orleans and go to the medical student/program mixer they do yearly. You can talk to all the program directors from the Texas/Florida programs and get your name on their radar.

I don't understand why programs don't consider out-of-area applicants as seriously. It's not applicants' fault for not having lived in the area. Should this be considered discrimination?

I don't understand why programs don't consider out-of-area applicants as seriously. It's not applicants' fault for not having lived in the area. Should this be considered discrimination?
Sure, if you can find the law. Next time when you apply, don't forget to remind the PD about it.

Reactions: 1 user