how will AMCAS disaster affect admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruin4Life

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel everyone can agree that the AMCAS mess can be classfied as a disaster.

Anyway, throughout the whole process we've been told that admissions will not be affected, but that's a load. I think it's only eminent that the fate of some applicants will be decided differently because of the time constraints med schools are facing.

I think fellow SDN are lucky. We may have an advantage over other applicants that don't have "cyber-premed advisors" updating them literally every few minutes about schools accepting paper applications and so forth.

Personally I'm interested in staying in California. California schools are way behind, in a process they normally take longer than others. They tell me they take longer because they pay very close attention to the essays and extra-curr and do not have number cut-offs. I think this year they may be forced to join others in the "numbers game". It's almost nothing we can do. My numbers are decent, but not steller. I think my extra curr. and personal statement might've helped me imensely last year, but this year may be a different story.

anyway agree or think differently?

Members don't see this ad.

i really don't agree that admissions is going to turn into a pure numbers game this year. my impression is that schools that value high numbers will just continue to do the same, but schools that want to fill their classes with interesting people will still want to do that. adcoms at different schools tend to look for a specific type of student, and i don't think that this is going to fly out the window just because of AMCAS's problems. different schools simply like different types of students, and i don't see that changing. i think this is exemplified by the fact that a few people here who state they have less than stellar numbers have gotten interviews at tulane--and tulane has *always* been committed to looking at the 'whole applicant'. clearly, even with the AMCAS fiasco, this hasn't changed.

i'm not going to sweat it. it's not worth the worry. we'll all be fine, folks.

I agree with sandflea. I still believe that med schools will be fair and professional despite the obvious contrary actions of the AAMC and AMCAS. They may be rushed, but that just means that they will be working overtime, looking over applications and still reading the essays.