How will an SMP affect my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDMcNugent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will more than likely be a re-applicant applying strictly DO. I was waitlisted at ACOM and am supposed to hear from Touro-NY soon but was told at the interview day that both campuses were full. Anyways, I am not going to sit around this summer waiting to hear if I get off the wait-list when I can have my primary sent in next week.

I will more than likely be attending KCUMB's MS in biomedical sciences 1 year program this coming August and am hoping that I perform well enough to get into their COM. I realize that there is a chance that I don't backdoor my way into KCUMB and plan on applying to about 10-15 schools just in case.

-Will my application be looked at in a negative way because I haven't completed any graduate coursework/will be in progress?
-I can't list KCUMB grad school in AACOMAS because I don't have a transcript yet so do I mention this in my PS?
-Will I be placed on hold at schools because they will want to see how i do in this program even if I apply early? And if so, will i be at a disadvantage?
Stats: 3.05 cGPA, 3.46 sGPA, 27 MCAT (9/9/9/)
Non traditional, 28 male non URM

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sink the SMP, you sink your medical school chances. Hit a home run and even allopathic schools might give you attention (roughly GPA > 3.65). It's much, much safer to just do retakes.

If you apply this fall, while in the middle of your first semester, then you're throwing your money away on apps because you haven't proven anything! We need to know that you can handle medical school.

So wait a year and apply with the best possible app. There's no law that says you have to go to medical school before the age of 25.

Saying that "I wil be attending this MS program over the next year" doesn't say anything. Words are easy; doing is hard.

-Will my application be looked at in a negative way because I haven't completed any graduate coursework/will be in progress?

-I can't list KCUMB grad school in AACOMAS because I don't have a transcript yet so do I mention this in my PS?

Hold? Rejected is more like it. You'd be a reapplicant with no demonstrated improvment in your app over the year.

-Will I be placed on hold at schools because they will want to see how i do in this program even if I apply early?

I have done many re-takes. 10 to be exact and it took all of those as A's to get my cumulative up to a 3.05 and science up to a 3.46. I feel as if I have hit the ceiling as far as the amount of re-takes goes. Is it possible to not even mention the Grad program anywhere in my application? I am unable to list it in aacomas anyways