How will freshman year look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdCadore

Pre-Something Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone did poorly their first semester of college but starting freshman year spring term, they stated A's and B's. Would you have to explain during your PS or interview what happened?

Members don't see this ad.

If someone did poorly their first semester of college but starting freshman year spring term, they stated A's and B's. Would you have to explain during your PS or interview what happened?

A lot of people mess up their freshman year. Try not to dwell on it. It's probably not worthy of being in the PS and only talk about it if they ask at the interview stage.

Depends how poorly you did.

And its your choice whether to put it in your PS or not, although for most people its beneficial to at least mention it (don't dwell on it).

And yes, if its a big enough difference then it probably will be brought up in open interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
To make my question more specific my grades were

A
C
D
D
D

I was real unfoucsed =P

To make my question more specific my grades were

A
C
D
D
D

I was real unfoucsed =P

Maybe work it into the PS by by explaining what motivated you to work harder. Don't try to make excuses for it though.

Do you think admissions will look at it differant if I retook the 3 D classes and made A's in them???

Do you think admissions will look at it differant if I retook the 3 D classes and made A's in them???

It will show you learned from your mistake. If the low grades were in pre-reqs you will have to retake them. Just try to maintain a good GPA from this point on (national average of accepted students is around 3.5-3.6).

Adcomms will you give a break - but you will have to worry about programs that automatically give out secondaries or interviews based on GPA/MCAT cutoffs - those three grades may pull you below a lot of cutoffs that will either keep you from getting secondaries/interviews or will make you late in getting them.

I would talk to a premed advisor at your school to get a better sense of what your transcript will look like if you retake the class.