How will going to this particular psych residency affect my career prospects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway117

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN - I matched into a psychiatry residency program in a major city in the midwest. Although it was not my goal to match here, I am grateful and will make the most of it. However, I have some questions about how doing residency here may impact my career.

It is affiliated with a well-known academic hospital - however, my impressions are that this program does not have the strongest reputation in their psychiatry dept, though this reputation may be improving in recent years. I'd like to know how going to a decently reputable - but not top notch - program will affect my ability to:

1. (if I don't do fellowship) practice in a desirable coastal city (Boston, Seattle, SD, LA) elsewhere in the country after completing residency
2. (if i decide to pursue fellowship, likely CAP), will this hinder my ability to match into a top tier program in a desirable location?
3. (less likely) go into academia.

Any thoughts especially from those who have gone through residency and the job search process or fellowship applications would be appreciated! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi SDN - I matched into a psychiatry residency program in a major city in the midwest. Although it was not my goal to match here, I am grateful and will make the most of it. However, I have some questions about how doing residency here may impact my career.

It is affiliated with a well-known academic hospital - however, my impressions are that this program does not have the strongest reputation in their psychiatry dept, though this reputation may be improving in recent years. I'd like to know how going to a decently reputable - but not top notch - program will affect my ability to:

1. (if I don't do fellowship) practice in a desirable coastal city (Boston, Seattle, SD, LA) elsewhere in the country after completing residency
2. (if i decide to pursue fellowship, likely CAP), will this hinder my ability to match into a top tier program in a desirable location?

Any thoughts especially from those who have gone through residency and the job search process or fellowship applications would be appreciated! Thank you.
1) minimal effect, at least as the market is now.
2) not at all.
3) depends on how avidly you pursue what opportunities are available to you via that affiliated university.

PM me, tell me where this actually is, and I might be able to tell you more specifically, but likely I'll be telling you that you're going to be just fine...

Reactions: 1 user
OldPsychDoc is the vistaril of these forums... does his best to relax us but for most of us neurotic residents/MS4s it simply does not work :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jobs are available everywhere. If you want to start a cash-only practice in a top 5 market or an academic position at a top 25 center, you may hit some road bumps. On the plus side, most fellowships are not competitive in psychiatry as they are not financially worth it (on average). If you really want a NYC cash practice or an academic position at Harvard, strongly consider a fellowship at a top program to have a better shot.

Jobs are available everywhere. If you want to start a cash-only practice in a top 5 market or an academic position at a top 25 center, you may hit some road bumps. On the plus side, most fellowships are not competitive in psychiatry as they are not financially worth it (on average). If you really want a NYC cash practice or an academic position at Harvard, strongly consider a fellowship at a top program to have a better shot.

Thanks for your feedback. Since I'm not super familiar with the job market, may I ask whether the cities I may want to practice in (Boston, Seattle, LA, SD) might be difficult to find a non-academic job in, if I do not do a fellowship? I most likely won't be seeking an academic career.

OldPsychDoc is the vistaril of these forums... does his best to relax us but for most of us neurotic residents/MS4s it simply does not work :)

For those of us who remember the Vistaril guy on these boards, broadstreet means Atarax (hydroxyzine) I'm sure.

Reactions: 13 users
For those of us who remember the Vistaril guy on these boards, broadstreet means Atarax (hydroxyzine) I'm sure.
Immediately what popped in my head and thought, “well that’s uncalled for.” Then after a few seconds was, “oh, THAT Vistaril...”

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Don't worry! If you have a pulse, you can get a job in the Boston area. In fact, there are some places where it's not even clear that a functioning circulatory system is a requirement.

Huh... You know what, guys? I think I just got an idea about how to reboot the Weekend at Bernie's Franchise! You can see the trailer already, can't you? ("You know, you're the first doctor to ever REALLY listen to me. In fact, I don't think you've spoken a single word since I came in here."). Alright SDN you might not hear from me for a little while. I have a screenplay to write:corny:

Reactions: 3 users
I might add that once you practice in the midwest... you may never want to leave! Just be prepared for that possibility.

Reactions: 4 users
I might add that once you practice in the midwest... you may never want to leave! Just be prepared for that possibility.
Lol, is there a particular reason for that? I've been in the midwest for 13 years now...which is why I wanted to leave so badly :(

Reactions: 1 users
It took me a minute to figure out what you meant...
Yes. Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your feedback. Since I'm not super familiar with the job market, may I ask whether the cities I may want to practice in (Boston, Seattle, LA, SD) might be difficult to find a non-academic job in, if I do not do a fellowship? I most likely won't be seeking an academic career.

An employed job is currently not hard anywhere.

I am a third year resident, haven't decided if I want to do a fellowship or not, I put my name into Merritt Hawkins a while back just because I was curious what jobs were out there. I now get a phone call every other day, multiple emails daily with open positions all over the country, including the cities you listed. I haven't looked too much into them because I am not actively looking for a job, but some of the packages look absurdly good (probably too good to be true). I'm not sure if where I am training has anything to do with all the emails and phone calls I'm getting, though I admit I have no idea.
On the other hand, I don't think fellowships are all that competitive because
1) there are plenty of sweet gigs out there without a fellowship.
2) financially not worth it.
3) I think we are a self selected bunch of folks, and most of us didn't go into psych with the goal of doing a fellowship.
4) depending on what fellowships you are interested in, many programs don't fill, even some at the top institutions.

If your goal is to become faculty at a top academic institution, I think that is a different ball game entirely, and yes doing a fellowship at said institution will help you immensely.

Finding a job as a psychiatrist in Boston is really easy. There are multiple Harvard affiliate openings available if that is important to you.

You do fellowship to further your education. The exceptions are pain, sleep, palliative, child--if you want those to be your career doing a fellowship is really your only route. For everything else there are ways to further your education without a fellowship.

Finding a job as a psychiatrist in Boston is really easy. There are multiple Harvard affiliate openings available if that is important to you.

You do fellowship to further your education. The exceptions are pain, sleep, palliative, child--if you want those to be your career doing a fellowship is really your only route. For everything else there are ways to further your education without a fellowship.

Thanks for the input! Does anyone have a sense of what the non-academic job market is like in the west coast cities? LA, SD, Seattle, SF, etc.

Maybe I didn't believe them when they said it. Maybe because it's counterintuitive in the vast majority of scenarios. But when you graduate psych residency. You just became an instant prom queen. You're hot. AF. The question is whether if you're going to know it or not. And those that don't, get exploited. By "prestigious" academic places. Some willingly for noble reasons. Others just because. The point is. There's no competition to be exploited when the options are so much more lucrative and less hassle-burdened off the reservation.

Last edited:
Once again Nasrudin says it better than I could. I'm a cloistered beauty queen, I just never knew it till now.

Oooh! I love playing "guess the program" with these. I'm going to take a stab and guess University of Chicago.

/which if true, you're more than fine and their CL program is one of the best in the region. Relax and get ready for the next step in your career!

Reactions: 1 users
Lol, is there a particular reason for that? I've been in the midwest for 13 years now...which is why I wanted to leave so badly :(

I once had that wanderlust. Dealing with the East Cost made me come crawling back. I'd been considering the West, but my wife probably isn't going to let me pull that trigger.

Forgive me elder sisters. For my blasphemy. You give of yourselves honorably. To the diocese and for Jesus.

But mine is for those of means. Like a tramp about town, I'm afraid.

I just mean to imply that a life of solemn sacrifice. Is a calling. Not sought by most.

It's waaaay cheaper to live near/in most midwest cities than the coasts. Find me a decent coastal city where I can find a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house that's 3,000 sq ft, built after 2005, is in a strong school district, nice neighborhood, and is only $225k and I'll start looking out there post-residency. Because all the similar houses I've looked at near coastal cities cost double that. Plus the job market is great. The health center near my school was hiring a psychiatrist straight out of residency last year to work outpt from 8-4, M-F, for $260k + benefits. Purely clinical duties, no mid-level oversight or administrative duties other than charting. My adviser told me about it during my MSPE meeting with her.

I mean, there's plenty of other reasons, but the financial incentives are pretty great imo.

Boom! Wassup hot stuff. Right?

Forgive me elder sisters. For my blasphemy. You give of yourselves honorably. To the diocese and for Jesus.

But mine is for those of means. Like a tramp about town, I'm afraid.

I just mean to imply that a life of solemn sacrifice. Is a calling. Not sought by most.
No forgiveness needed, I like the metaphor. :unsure: :naughty:

That reminds me of an old Michigan joke. "I'd never move away from Grand Rapids... it would violate my parole."