How will having taken a leave of absence from college affect my vet school application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmm032

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am strongly considering taking a leave of absence from my college for the spring semester. It is probably important for me to mention that I am a commuting student who has always worked while in school. So here is why:
1. If I get accepted to any of the schools where I have interviews, I will not have needed the courses. I should also note that I will not be able to graduate this spring regardless because my college’s graduation requirements are very different from the vet school prerequisites.
2. The cost of attending another semester while taking courses I may not end up having needed to take (especially when I have other bills).
3. I have had some other expenses come up recently that make me reluctant to spend the money on another semester right now. While I completely understand the need to take out loans while in veterinary school in the future, I have worked extremely hard to ensure that I could pay for my own college education up to this point so that I can hopefully graduate with a minimal amount of overall student debt in the future.
4. I can possibly return to a place I previously interned, which would give me more experience hours if I need to reapply to vet school next year. It is also a very well paying internship, so that helps as well.

My question is, how is this going to potentially affect my applications if I must apply to veterinary school again this summer/next cycle? If I end up needing to reapply for vet school, I will be returning to the college in the fall to pick up where I left off and graduate in the spring of 2021. Any and all input would be extremely helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it mostly depends on your academic record. If the reason why you get rejected is for a noncompetitive gpa, I think it’ll hurt leaving college early and not being able to have that semester to boost up your gpa before your next cycle. Otherwise I don’t think it matters unless any of the schools you apply to requires an undergraduate degree (do any of the schools require this anyway?). If you have a good academic record but need experience more than anything else, it might be a really smart move.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Msu does not require an undergrad degree. They even have a way to finish a bs in animal science during vet school, I don't believe with any additional classes. If your application is competitive academically, I think not finishing your bachelors will not be bad unless the school requires it as previously stated.

Biggest thing is that you check in with schools this app cycle as some require you to finish all listed in progress classes as condition of acceptance. Communication with your schools is always a good idear. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Biggest thing is that you check in with schools this app cycle as some require you to finish all listed in progress classes as condition of acceptance. Communication with your schools is always a good idear. :)

That is good to know! I will definitely email them and ask about that. I will still be taking Organic Chemistry 2, and if I need anything else for a specific school I can do that. None of the schools I am applying to require a bachelors degree.