How will MD schools view this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ralphlaurenfan

purple label
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a freshman in college, and although this is no excuse at all, I really didn't like my institution and thus didn't do as well as I hoped this semester. I absolutely LOATHED my economics class, and was forced to withdraw, plus I got a B in biology. However, I did manage to get an A in chemistry and calculus, which put my GPA at 3.7 including the withdrawal.

My question I suppose is:

1. Will med schools look down upon me for transferring? Will they see that as me giving up or being "unable to adjust or something"?
2. Is a withdrawal going to hurt me a lot? I mean, it's in economics which isn't even a required class, but I'm still worried about that, especially since it forced me to finish with only 10 credits that year (although b/c of APs I'll be ahead of schedule still)
3. How many credits should I take next quarter (since I'm on quarters at my new school) to make up for a rather sub-par first semester?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

-_-

3.7 ... What a horrid first semester.

Relax. Fine. Keep going.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.7 is horrid? I thought it was at the very least average. Man, now I'm panicking!

Please be a troll.

I got a 3.66 in my first quarter, and I still was able to have a 3.84 when I applied...

Also, if you transfer, they will not hate you for it... I transferred after two years... due to some fit issues, and I have not been castigated for it during interviews.

Please be a troll.

I got a 3.66 in my first quarter, and I still was able to have a 3.84 when I applied...

Also, if you transfer, they will not hate you for it... I transferred after two years... due to some fit issues, and I have not been castigated for it during interviews.

Transferring isn't bad unless you do it like 4 times. One time is FINE

Hi,

1. Will med schools look down upon me for transferring? Will they see that as me giving up or being "unable to adjust or something"?
2. Is a withdrawal going to hurt me a lot? I mean, it's in economics which isn't even a required class, but I'm still worried about that, especially since it forced me to finish with only 10 credits that year (although b/c of APs I'll be ahead of schedule still)
3. How many credits should I take next quarter (since I'm on quarters at my new school) to make up for a rather sub-par first semester?

thanks

1) Probably not. If you transfered down, maybe, but if you made a lateral move (or moved up) definitely not. Just do well at your new school. I transferred and look where it got me.

2) If you don't get another W, no one will care; a 2nd or 3rd will draw suspicion.

3) As many as you can take while getting A's in all your BCPM classes.

1) Probably not. If you transfered down, maybe, but if you made a lateral move (or moved up) definitely not. Just do well at your new school. I transferred and look where it got me.

2) If you don't get another W, no one will care; a 2nd or 3rd will draw suspicion.

3) As many as you can take while getting A's in all your BCPM classes.

Well, actually, I did move down. I went from The University of Texas at Austin to Oregon State. I have (I think) decent reasons for making the switch. The main reason is that it is too expensive, but other reasons include that it's hard to find research opportunities, since most of it happens in Texas, and I live in Oregon (especially without a car since public transportation is atrocious there), among others. Mostly, it was also that I didn't fit will at that school. So will this still look bad? I doubt that I'll transfer again (I'm going to force myself to stay no matter what), so is it a big deal that I "moved down"?

Well, actually, I did move down. I went from The University of Texas at Austin to Oregon State. I have (I think) decent reasons for making the switch. The main reason is that it is too expensive, but other reasons include that it's hard to find research opportunities, since most of it happens in Texas, and I live in Oregon (especially without a car since public transportation is atrocious there), among others. Mostly, it was also that I didn't fit will at that school. So will this still look bad? I doubt that I'll transfer again (I'm going to force myself to stay no matter what), so is it a big deal that I "moved down"?

how is that moving down?? it's fine.

Didn't like your econ class? That's my major ha ha ha! You should be fine, but be ready to answer why you went from being a Longhorn to being a Beaver!! (Just kidding!)

dont fret, the caribbean md schools probably wont care

I transferred down and have been asked about it 60% of the time, but I have no evidence that it specifically hurt me. As long as you have a good reason, you should be fine.

dont fret, the caribbean md schools probably wont care

LOL ouch!

I transferred down and have been asked about it 60% of the time, but I have no evidence that it specifically hurt me. As long as you have a good reason, you should be fine.

What might constitute as a good reason? Would what I said in an earlier post be a decent explanation, or do I need to expand on that?

That will not be considered "moving down" by anybody, not that I think you should be concerned about it in the first place.

People transfer. It happens. What matters ultimately is your GPA.

Don't feel the need to explain the transfer to anybody.

Hi,

I'm a freshman in college, and although this is no excuse at all, I really didn't like my institution and thus didn't do as well as I hoped this semester. I absolutely LOATHED my economics class, and was forced to withdraw, plus I got a B in biology. However, I did manage to get an A in chemistry and calculus, which put my GPA at 3.7 including the withdrawal.

thanks

I probably have 5 Ws on my transcript through my 11 semesters of schooling... Journalism(Thought I might enjoy it, nope), Honors Biochemistry(Boring, not what I thought it was going to be), 2 classes during another semester where I was extremely sick, and 1 class that I technically retook, but dropped because the professor just changed my grade from the previous semester(Where I was extremely sick).

I'm honestly 100% sure that no one is going to care... I'll just explain it as above. I don't know why anyone would even care about Ws in the first place... I guess if you consistently show that you can't handle coursework that's one thing, but if you simply are bored with a class or don't want to make the effort on a class you don't need, why bother taking it?

Well you said you got an A in Chem and Calc, and a B in Bio, which is actually pretty good for your first semester of college. I doubt anyone will think you left Texas because it was too hard. I am confident that this move will not hurt your chances.

Don't feel the need to explain the transfer to anybody.

Unless, you know, the MD interviewing you asks something like, "Can you explain to me why you decided to transfer?"

(at which point you will provide your reasons listed above, and your interviewer will move on to ask you what your favorite book is and why)

But I agree with flip that not too many people will consider that transferring down.