Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How will med schools view this?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nblyicprz, Jan 3, 2009.

1. nblyicprz

Pre-Medical
    So I am a freshman right now and just finished my first term at my school. On one of my finals, I got sick right before and therefore couldn't take it, and got an F in the class as a result. The class was one of those intro humanities classes which you need to take as per the university standards but is absolutely not necessary for med school.

For my other classes, I got an A, A, and A+.

So, my question is, can I explain this grade to med schools? Will this hurt my GPA in terms of how med schools look at my transcript?

2. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Don't worry, especially if it an isolated incident. Will you need to retake for your uni?

Also... more and more schools are rec/req humanities. JSYK.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 87138

87138 Guest

Medical Student
    Might there be more to the story than you're sharing? That sure doesn't sound right.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes and yes...

5. nblyicprz

Pre-Medical
    What do you mean by that?

6. nblyicprz

Pre-Medical
    I thought med schools didn't care about any other classes besides the pre-med track...

7. 236116

Some schools recommend or require up to 30 hours in humanities, social, and/or behavioural sciences. Some also want comp sci.

Hopkins for instance wants 24 hours in humanities

8. nblyicprz

Pre-Medical
    Okay, so can I count humanities classes BESIDES this one and thus this F would, so to speak, not matter?

And what do you mean by "hours"? My college operates on a "units" basis.

9. 236116

As long as you make up for it (get an A in another one and you get a C over the 2).

Hours= units if you're on semester system.

10. nblyicprz

Pre-Medical
    I meant that say I need 24 units of humanities, and i have 24 (Excluding the F). Does that take care of the F or will it still count?

We operate on the quarter system. Do hours still equal units then?

11. rocketbooster

rocketbooster Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree. Your story doesn't make sense. A teacher would not flunk you for getting sick before the final. You either had a bad track record with your professor beforehand and this was the last straw or it was bad communication with your professor on your part. If you had a good track record beforehand, then the professor would definitely work with you to reschedule.

So, what's the whole story?

12. 236116

No, you'll need another class (so 25). I think it's 2/3 semester course= quarter.

Also, it may be that the final grade in the class was only the final-- the grade on the final is the grade in the class.