How will multiple acceptances affect scholarship chances? Waitlist chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmapricots

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're holding an acceptance at a top 10 school and another at a more mid-tier school, will it affect the merit-based aid that either offers you when on May 15 they can see where else you got in?

Likewise, will either of those acceptances affect your waitlist chances at another "top tier" school?

I've been wondering about these questions because I think a factor for me in choosing a medical school is going to be cost. I like the schools I've gotten into a lot.

I'm also wondering if I should turn down the mid-tier acceptance because it might hurt my waitlist chances at other, "better" (I know, I know) schools to be holding multiple acceptances, if I end up in that position. I would hold it otherwise because I'd totally go there for a hefty scholarship.

With all of that premed overthinking said, I am THRILLED to have even one acceptance and pulling, HARD, for everyone else. And I would really appreciate some collective wisdom. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

You have a lot of months before schools will know where you've been accepted. Don't sweat multiple acceptances until you have to choose. It won't affect scholarship offers.

In fact, if you're one of the cocky ones, if you don't like a scholarship offer you get from school A, some folks tell them, "I'd love to attend your school, but I am concerned about finances and school B offered me ____."

My opinion is that multiple acceptances can only increase your chances of getting scholarship money, particularly if you're the kind of superstar applicant that several schools really want to recruit, and particularly if you are accepted to two or more schools that consider one another to be "rivals" for recruiting the same students. If you're lucky enough to be in that position, you should definitely tell the schools that financial aid is a major concern of yours. I would wait until you go to your second looks, and talk to the admissions dean privately about your situation. Be direct about wanting a scholarship because you are concerned about finances, but don't be a jerk or give ultimatums.

I disagree that it's cocky to ask the school you want to attend for more money, especially if you're already getting full rides from other schools. Medical schools are relatively practical when it comes to doling out scholarships. All schools have limited funds, and they may not initially give you a scholarship if they think they can get you to come there without giving you one. Not everyone who deserves a scholarship will get offered one because there just isn't enough money. So you might not receive any money from certain schools unless you tell them that you're unfortunately going to have to withdraw because another school has been more generous. Then it's up to the school to decide whether they want to let you go or fight to keep you. In my experience, sometimes they do fight to keep you. :)

Congrats on your acceptances, and best of :luck: to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
How good of an applicant do you have to be to get a scholarship? I have high stats (~3.8 gpa, 40 mcat) but only decent ec's (by sdn standards, prolly better than the average applicant, but nothing big like publications or the peace corps). Thanks!

I am wondering the same thing, I have a 3.9 and a 37. Financial aid is huge on my list. I have a full ride for my undergrad due to a combination of financial aid and need/merit based scholarships. I'm hoping this is somewhat indicative of what will happen in medical school.

I'm also wondering about scholarship possibilities. I've got high stats (4.0, 42), but I'm afraid that my EC's are average-ish. I've been told to hold all of my acceptances (even ones I don't really want to attend) in order to make myself more competitive for merit scholarships.

To be honest, I don't know what exactly makes someone Mr. or Ms. Hot Candidate, and I don't think anyone else does either. I suspect it actually has less to do with stats and more to do with subjective things like how you add to your class's diversity, nonacademic accomplishments, etc. All of you have great stats, but so will many if not most of your classmates. Like I said before, there aren't enough scholarships to give one to every student who deserves to get one based on academic performance. So the people who get scholarships will have great stats plus something else about them that makes the schools go :wow:

Beepbloop, if you want a scholarship, I would hold on to all of your acceptances unless you're sure you definitely wouldn't attend one of those schools even with a scholarship. I don't know about UVA, but UAB, Wash U, Emory, and Vandy all definitely offer merit scholarships. :)