How will schools look at upward trend with GPA? (Dramatic. Please see numbers in thread).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pazuzu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to personal family reasons, I did very poorly in my undergrad. I even finished accelerated in 3 years time (at the expense of my grades). I was a biology major and completed all the pre-med requirements. After graduation I decided that I would dedicate 2 years of grade replacements/retakes of the poor grades in premed/science classes at my local school (while taking care of family troubles). It went very well. I also (concurrently) finished a masters degree in public health (concentration: epidemiology). I was lucky in that there was a graduate school program close nearby that offered what I wanted. That also went very well. However after looking at how the AACOMAS grade calculations, I am a bit disheartened.

The undergrad GPA at my "initial college" is still not very good. The GPA for all my coursework at the "class retake college" is pretty good. The GPA for my graduate school is pretty good. The overall GPA combined is still below average. Look below for the breakdown to see the discrepancy.

"Initial College" (2007-2010. 120 Credits). Non-science: 3.13. Science: 2.48. Cumulative: 2.90.
"Retake College" (2010-2012. 46 Credits). Non-science: 4.00. Science: 3.57. Cumulative: 3.60.
"Graduate School" (2010-2012. 46 Credits). Non-science: 3.78. Science: 3.66. Cumulative: 3.73.

TOTAL: Non-science: 3.40. Science: 3.25. Cumulative: 3.32.

Are the "TOTAL" GPA(s) what the schools will only focus/see? Or will they take into consideration the huge jump and recent successes/attempts? I am being dragged down from troubles from my initial undergraduate school (2007-2010).

I have great extracurricular, volunteer, experience, shadowing, etc. I am taking my MCAT soon and will probably score in the upper 20's. My GPA is the biggest concern for me. Always was....and I guess still is.

Anyone with any knowledge on this situation with this dramatic of an upward trend? How the administration/admissions will view it?

Thanks for any possible help and insight!

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is the most time consuming thing to try to change. I am very proud of where I am now compared to where I started. However the repercussions of my earlier poor grades are still being felt. (I literally retook all my premed classes, all gen chem, orgo, bio, physics. With mostly A's). If you look at the recent classes, my GPA looks great!. But it still is being weighed down by my past. (Can't erase all of my past). I just wanted to know if schools see just the "total" calculated GPA from the application. Or if they take note of massive improvements more relevant to current time. I take full responsibility and accept that I have to pay for my past poor grades, but I have been trying to better myself and make my application more competitive. I just feel disheartened at times.

I think you'll be fine. I would address it in your personal statement. Say how you learned from your experience, improved study habits, etc. Make the school certain you will only continue to improve and not fall back into your old ways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our GPAs are similar. Ive been told they will see your total GPA and sliced then diced up from Freshman to Senior......so if there are trends like yours, trust me it will be seen......

We love upward trends. Americans like a come from behind story.

Due to personal family reasons, I did very poorly in my undergrad. I even finished accelerated in 3 years time (at the expense of my grades). I was a biology major and completed all the pre-med requirements. After graduation I decided that I would dedicate 2 years of grade replacements/retakes of the poor grades in premed/science classes at my local school (while taking care of family troubles). It went very well. I also (concurrently) finished a masters degree in public health (concentration: epidemiology). I was lucky in that there was a graduate school program close nearby that offered what I wanted. That also went very well. However after looking at how the AACOMAS grade calculations, I am a bit disheartened.

The undergrad GPA at my "initial college" is still not very good. The GPA for all my coursework at the "class retake college" is pretty good. The GPA for my graduate school is pretty good. The overall GPA combined is still below average. Look below for the breakdown to see the discrepancy.

"Initial College" (2007-2010. 120 Credits). Non-science: 3.13. Science: 2.48. Cumulative: 2.90.
"Retake College" (2010-2012. 46 Credits). Non-science: 4.00. Science: 3.57. Cumulative: 3.60.
"Graduate School" (2010-2012. 46 Credits). Non-science: 3.78. Science: 3.66. Cumulative: 3.73.

TOTAL: Non-science: 3.40. Science: 3.25. Cumulative: 3.32.

Are the "TOTAL" GPA(s) what the schools will only focus/see? Or will they take into consideration the huge jump and recent successes/attempts? I am being dragged down from troubles from my initial undergraduate school (2007-2010).

I have great extracurricular, volunteer, experience, shadowing, etc. I am taking my MCAT soon and will probably score in the upper 20's. My GPA is the biggest concern for me. Always was....and I guess still is.

Anyone with any knowledge on this situation with this dramatic of an upward trend? How the administration/admissions will view it?

Thanks for any possible help and insight!

Reactions: 1 users
We love upward trends. Americans like a come from behind story.

1445315d1396643458-watchrecon-question-archer-1-phrasing.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I think you'll be fine. You should know, though, that on the application they'll see your GPA broken down by academic year (freshman through senior and then graduate). I think your entire "retake" will be classified under senior, along with your initial senior year. So you'll have low FR, SO, JU GPAs but very high SE and GR.

Your total GPA is fine for DO and the upward trend is a strong bonus. 28+ MCAT and you should be pretty good for DO assuming good ECs.

I could be wrong but his retakes will show up in the ug post bach line?

QUOTE="jonnythan, post: 15326125, member: 447595"]I think you'll be fine. You should know, though, that on the application they'll see your GPA broken down by academic year (freshman through senior and then graduate). I think your entire "retake" will be classified under senior, along with your initial senior year. So you'll have low FR, SO, JU GPAs but very high SE and GR.

Your total GPA is fine for DO and the upward trend is a strong bonus. 28+ MCAT and you should be pretty good for DO assuming good ECs.[/QUOTE]