How will this effect my future residency application (if at all)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lordnelson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background about me: I am a final semester student at one of the Caribbean medical schools (top 5). Long story short a few semesters ago I, along with about a 1/3 of my classmates, skipped a "mandatory" presentation by a guest speaker due to unfair circumstance (<24 hours notice was given during exam prep week via an email sent at 6:30 pm the night before the event). This ended with personal emails sent by our dean to each student asking for an explanation & subsequently that email + our excuse being placed in our school record. We are able to appeal to have this removed at the end of our final semester if there are no other infractions to professionalism standards as set by the school.

My questions are as follows:
1. How big of an impact will this have on my residency application IF the letter is not removed?
2. My understanding is that since we are IMG's our dean letter is not written by our dean, what are the chances this email exchange makes it onto my residency application by whoever is responsible for writing my dean letter?

TL:DR I have an email exchange on my school record between me and the school dean about my absence from a mandatory presentation in which I indicate I was absent due to a medical condition with proof if need be. How will this effect my residency (if at all) if it is not removed?

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that you are a student at a Caribbean medical school will have vastly more influence on negatively affecting your residency chances (already at only 50% and shrinking yearly) than this IA.

A little background about me: I am a final semester student at one of the Caribbean medical schools (top 5). Long story short a few semesters ago I, along with about a 1/3 of my classmates, skipped a "mandatory" presentation by a guest speaker due to unfair circumstance (<24 hours notice was given during exam prep week via an email sent at 6:30 pm the night before the event). This ended with personal emails sent by our dean to each student asking for an explanation & subsequently that email + our excuse being placed in our school record. We are able to appeal to have this removed at the end of our final semester if there are no other infractions to professionalism standards as set by the school.

My questions are as follows:
1. How big of an impact will this have on my residency application IF the letter is not removed?
2. My understanding is that since we are IMG's our dean letter is not written by our dean, what are the chances this email exchange makes it onto my residency application by whoever is responsible for writing my dean letter?

TL:DR I have an email exchange on my school record between me and the school dean about my absence from a mandatory presentation in which I indicate I was absent due to a medical condition with proof if need be. How will this effect my residency (if at all) if it is not removed?

Reactions: 1 user
So you state that the notice was (1) too close to the presentation time, and (2) was during exam prep week. And then your excuse was for (3) a medical condition? OK. You might want to just lean towards one excuse. It would sound a lot different if you framed your question as "I have a spot on my record because I missed a mandatory guest speaker because I was having emergency lithotripsy. Is this going to be a problem?" rather than "I had a lot on my mind and the sun was in my eyes and it was super unprofessionally late notice, and anyway I had a doctor's appointment so that's totally unfair, right guys?"

At any rate, if this is the topic they choose to focus on in your residency interview, you've already lost. "So, I've gone over your application in detail, and I have absolutely no questions about your didactic education, research, or extracurricular activities. What I really want to delve into is this one time you blew off a guest speaker and your Top 5 Caribbean Dean threw a fit." RUH ROH.

Edit: Aware of harshness. Point still stands. Sorry not sorry and all that. Honestly, just keep your nose clean, and petition for removal of the flag at the end of the semester. I promise by the end of your medical school education you will be worried about things far more relevant than this affecting your application. For instance, see Goro's post above.

Reactions: 1 users
No school would intentionally damage their own student's residency chances like this. This is a troll or an idiot, or both.