1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How will this impact chances of getting in?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Stumpyman, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Stumpyman

7+ Year Member

Hey, I was homeschooled throughout highschool and graduated early. I'm doing my first year of college at a local Com. college, and plan on transferring in the fall 2012 semester... My question is, I have already taken Bio 1 and 2, and will be taking chem 1 and 2 this fall and spring. However, I will be out of town during all of next summer, so I will be taking Calculus 1 and Stats online from a different university/college.... How will taking calc 1 and stats online from a different university affect my chances of getting into a med school? (I will be taking calc/stats one semester before I transfer to a university btw)

Also, kind of off topic, but is the general consensus of getting into medical school ("lower level" med school, not John hopkins or anything) a 3.7+ GPA and 28+ on the MCAT?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KLycos

KLycos ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. tn4596

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    accoding to my official guide to mcat book, some1 with 3.7 gpa and 28 mcat would have 60% of getting accepted in somewhere. also it also said they will take a look at the dificulty of your coursework as well as the selectivity of your undergrad institution.
    if you think the school you are transferring to have rly hard calc classes (typical engineering schools) and you wont be able to get A in those class then def take the online class. my 2 cents.

5. Stumpyman

7+ Year Member

Yeah I'm transferring to either Virginia Tech or George Mason, both have somewhat hard calc classes. Calc is my weakness, and I will probably work really hard for an A online, but I don't want it to look bad on applications....

6. artsciencelove

artsciencelove Class of 2016
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Online courses are rarely accepted for your pre-reqs. Community college is OK but universities are preferred. Be careful and talk to an adviser.