How Will You, as a dentist, Market Yourself?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachLuvr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides word of mouth?

This question was posed in the latest dentaltown magazine :) as one of the things they don't teach you in dental school...

Any creative ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll probably think about it my 3rd or 4th year, if i don't find a dentist to work with.

I'd think it was premature to think about it earlier, especially before starting.

BeachLuvr said:
Besides word of mouth?

This question was posed in the latest dentaltown magazine :) as one of the things they don't teach you in dental school...

Any creative ideas?

Contacts formed in year 3/4 via externships, family friends who are dentists, dentists near my home community. Once in practice (solo) internal marketing is invalulable in addition to possible weekend hours (there are nearly 0 weekend dentists in Atlanta) and incentives for staff to bring in new patients (i.e. $50 per head).

Members don't see this ad :)
I started thinking about applying to dental school when I was 8 years old. Thank God, it's paid off. It's never too early to toss ideas around...you should try it sometime

Beach

CJWolf said:
I'll probably think about it my 3rd or 4th year, if i don't find a dentist to work with.

I'd think it was premature to think about it earlier, especially before starting.

probably no marketing, but if i find out that a new patient was referred by an existing patient i might send the existing patient a gift certificate for a nice dinner or a couple of movie tickets, as a token of appreciation for recommending me to their friend.

...low-budget late night tv commercials on sketchy channels....

Do you think it'll be hard to work in this?

Attachments

• untitled333.JPG
    untitled333.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 73
i definately learned something from my business classes

location location location :thumbup: :idea:

along with some mailings and maybe whitening discounts to new patients no one whitens their teeth before getting some work done(think of those painful sensitivities!) ;)

let's see...

-mass mailings with coupons
-referals
-ads in a local newspaper
-how about playing a video of "cosmetic deintistry" for those sitting in the waiting room... so by the time patients get onto the dental chair, they will know what to ask as they already seen the results from the video...

I'm gonna have plasma TVs on every wall, detailing the procedures I do and be primarily involved in cosmetic dentistry...

The key to success (well one of many anway) is Retention.

At the office I work at, we are constantly moving inactive files to storage b/c a lot of patients simply don't come back.

Too much emphasis on bringing in and treating new patients can shift the focus away from existing patients (as in this case) in which event you are forced to "market" yourself just to keep the doors open.

eran76 said:
The key to success (well one of many anway) is Retention.

At the office I work at, we are constantly moving inactive files to storage b/c a lot of patients simply don't come back.

Too much emphasis on bringing in and treating new patients can shift the focus away from existing patients (as in this case) in which event you are forced to "market" yourself just to keep the doors open.

being able to bring your patients back after the initial visit is very important but the thing is that once a new patient comes to the office and the work gets done all that is left is the 6 month recalls which isnt very profitable. You really do have to keep your focus on new patients in order to make money, its very exhausting but retention of patients with no problems is not going to make you a success...

I think marketing yourself through mailings, free whitenings, etc. shows weakness. I would never go to a dentist that sent that crap out. For one, it makes me think that they don't have enough business becuase their practice is wack. Plus, although some wouldn't know this, a free whitening is just a ploy to get patients addicted to having perfect teeth. They get a whitening, then they want another one, pretty soon they want ever imperfection out of their mouth. It's great financially for the dentist, but i think alot of "real" dentists will look down on you.

Free whitening? Whitening methods I believe are pretty expensive. Unfortunately the dentist we hear about making the big bucks are part DR and part Salesman. Some actually go so far as giving the Hygienist a small percentage if they suggest to patients that whitening or something else would be a good idea.(they teach that at some dental business seminars)

I believe a lot of dentistry is preventative, and arguments can be made that some procedures may not be 100% necessary although they are a good idea and are in the patient’s best interest. SO you have to edge the patient in the direction you want the treatment plan to go. If you always defer to the patient without explaining why you think crowning #? or suggesting veneer or something is the way to go then you will be making less money.

Those dentists making the big bucks are working it hard. They are Businessmen first. Their minds are always on the dollars. I'm not saying that being a quality dentist and a rich one is not mutually exclusive, but you may need to adjust to a less idealistic reality.............i think.

My goal is to get word of mouth between all the big time hip-hop artists. I want to be Dr. Bling.....and put all the "ice" in the mouth......to keep all their Cristal cold ya know!

Retention...I agree. It's pretty easy to pick up the phone back and select a dentist, there's got to be something that makes someone come back to you specifically :)

BeachLuvr said:
Retention...I agree. It's pretty easy to pick up the phone book and select a dentist, there's got to be something that makes someone come back to you specifically :)

That would be confidence in your ability.